Scene 8 - Analysis

Moonbase Alpha – the Recreation Section – the plant is carefully analysed under microscopes and lights and attention with Dr. Owen. His English young assistant stands by him, simply passing him test tubes as he works tirelessly to find more answers to this new plant. The Main Mission Control Room, the night is approaching. Now, fewer members of Alpha are working at the controls of the moonbase, only our regular characters are in the Main Centre. Koenig reaches down the steps, the platform of his desk, to the controls where Sandra, Paul and David Kano work off.

Commander Koenig:

Its getting late, why don't you get some rest.

Sandra:

With your permission Commander, I will retire to my quarters.

Dr. Russel:

Good night Sandra.

She departs.

Paul:

I think I'd better get some rest as a matter of fact Commander.

Commander Koenig:

Alright, good night Paul.

He leaves, then John turns to Helena.

You go get some rest to Helena.

Dr. Russel:

Alright John, good night.

She leaves too.

Commander Koenig:

Victor?

Victor:

No. I can't sleep when Dr. Owen is discovering and researching an alien plant. He won't let me help him. You know what he's like. He'll say that I'm just trying to steal his fame. Maybe until he reports some good news whenever that will be.

Commander Koenig:

And you Kano?

David:

Commander, you know Alan can't survive without his computer. It needs constant surveillance in case anything was to happen.

Commander Koenig:

Game of chess then?

David:

Sure thing, Commander.

The intercom begins calling from the laboratory.

Dr. Owen:

Commander! I have made fascinating discoveries with this new plant!

Commander Koenig:

Alright. What have you found?

Dr. Owen:

I will tell you in the morning.

He switches off.

Victor:

Well, told you he likes to work in his own way.

Dr. Owen's assistant enters the Main Mission command centre.

Flora:

Evening, Commander.

Commander Koenig:

Good evening Flora. What has he to report?

Flora:

Nothing much. Well, he's more keeping it to himself. He doesn't want anyone else knowing about it because he feels they will steal the secret.

Victor:

Hhm! That's Dr. Owen for you.

Flora:

He says he is going to work all night until he discovers everything about the plant. It's cells, how they differentiate, the process it takes to absorb its energy and how it creates new food and minerals for us.

Commander Koenig:

Talk about determination. Flora, you look sleepy. Why don't you grab some rest?

Flora:

I think I'll do that. It's better than passing him slide after slide and telling me how brilliant he is. Good night Commander.

Commander Koenig:

Good night.

David:

It seems logical that Dr. Owen will not share any information about the plant in the next few hours.

Victor:

Nope. Well, I will be off to bed.

David:

Me too. Good night Commander.

Commander Koenig:

Good night you two.

Once they have left, John is left on his own in the entirety of Main Mission. He returns to his desk and begins writing down a report of the planet Varga. He too is tired and begins rubbing his eyes and yawning. Slowly, his eyes begin shutting. His head lowers, onto the desk. Now, he was fast asleep.