Scene 9 - Growth

The Doctor stares down at his plant, busy and working terribly hard and tirelessly on this new discovery. Flora enters the laboratory unannounced.

Dr. Owen:

Would you kindly... Oh, Flora.

Flora:

I was just going to wish you a good night, Doctor.

Dr. Owen:

Oh yes. Very well. It's getting rather late now, isn't it?

Flora:

Well. In that case. Good night Doctor.

Dr. Owen:

Goodnight Flora.

She had left. Dr. Owen opens up as he loudly yawns.

Perhaps I should get some rest after all.

He takes the plant away from the microscope and leaves it under the light. As he picks up the microscope to put it away in a safe place, the plant's leaves rise up. It begins to creak. The plant opens up, exposing itself to the light. The creaking attracts the attention of Dr. Owen. Fascinated, he rushes over to watch the plant as it expands and grows.

Incredible. The light! It must be the light! I wonder what power the intensity of the source.

The leaves reach out and the vines and roots bug into the pot begin withering out. One root wraps around his neck and begins to strangle him!

NO! NO!

He gasps for air as the plant grows taller and extends out to become the size of the table. Flora returns.

Flora:

Sorry Dr. Owen, I was just wondering...

She screams! The plant is almost on top of him! It has grown to half the size of the room, with the roots strangling around his neck and body, it pushes the suffocating Dr. Owen into its own massive roots – sucking him in like a mouth and absorbing him. Flora screams again as the roots begin reaching out for her. She runs, but it grabs her leg and trips her over. Kano and Victor hear the horrific screaming down the corridor, turning to each other they then rush down to see the screaming Flora as the roots begin wrapping around her and dragging her to her death.

HELP! HELP!

She too is horrifically absorbed into the plant. The roots are growing and growing and growing down the corridor. Kano rushes to the radio communicator on the wall.

David:

Main Mission, this is...

Victor drags him away from the growing plant, withering and leaching out more leaves and roots around the corridor.

Victor:

Back to Main Mission.

They rush back. The strength of the plant is able to burst through the window sucking out all the air and its roots wrapping around the sealing of the base – and extending out into space. A massive bleeping on the control console wake up Koneig from his desk as he runs down them and investigates. The report is of an airlock breach outside. A massive wall slams shut where Victor and Kano were standing to save oxygen. The plant then reaches the obstruction, withering and dancing its roots around it. The two then reach Main Mission.

David:

Commander!

Commander Koenig:

Alright you two, what's going on?

Victor:

It's the plant from Varga. It's growing and has already killed Dr. Owen and Flora.

Commander Koenig:

The plant? Listen, there has been an airlock breach in Owen's lab. The plant is growing outside the base then it will crush Alpha to fragments. We need to get everyone to wear spacesuits otherwise we're finished.

David:

And the wall has been placed in front of the lab?

Commander Koenig:

Yes. I don't know if that will be able to stop it though. You two, get those suits on!

Victor:

Right away Commander!

They rush away whilst the Commander runs back up the stairs and switches on the radio.

Commander Koenig:

This is Commander Koenig in Main Mission alerting all personal on Moonbase Alpha. You are all to place on your spacesuits immediately! I repeat, everyone is to place on a spacesuit!