Scene 12 - Second launch

The launchpad is covered with roots and ivy. Underneath, the Eagle is ready to launch. Yet, there is nothing around nearby the Transporter. They are ready to launch, with Alan and Koenig in the front.

Alan:

Alright Commander, what's the plan?

Commander Koenig:

Back to Varga!

Alan:

But Commander...

Commander Koenig:

I know Alan! We have already drifted several hours off Varga. So we might make it there but might not make it back to Alpha. But we have to take that risk.

Alan:

But the plant! We might not get past that!

Commander Koenig:

We're wasting time here Alan. Do you have a better idea?

Alan:

Kill the plant at the heart of it.

Commander Koenig:

Take her up Alan.

The Eagle is risen above the deck, preparing to lift off. She is ready. The roots begin creaking and reaching out for the Eagle. More roots burst up and down through the crust and rocks of the moon, before reaching and approaching the Transporter, preparing to smash through and destroy it.

Now Alan! Now!

The Eagle rises, blowing its engines and zooming up vertically. The root, digging itself back up and grabbing onto the Eagle, wrapping itself around it to secure it.

If we don't get this root off us then it will crush us!

The vines begin wrapping over it.

Alan:

We can't force out!

Commander Koenig:

Maximum power Alan!

Alan:

WE ARE ON MAXIMUM POWER!

Commander Koenig:

Then fire at the root then!

Alan:

I'll try!

He aims at the main root curling around, firing! BOOM! The root bursts and frees the Eagle. It flies well off from Alpha, spinning around and heading back to Varga. They had escaped.

Commander Koenig:

Eagle 9 to Alpha, we've escaped.

David:

Well done Commander!

Commander Koenig:

We're heading back to Varga. We're going to get those in suspended animation to tell us how to stop this plant.

David:

How will you accomplish the mission?

Commander Koenig:

We'll see to that. We were lucky to escape from Alpha Kano. I don't think another Eagle is getting out of a hanger with the state the base is in. How is the situation coping now?

David:

It's settling down. But the root is still consuming us!

Commander Koenig:

Kano, you're going to have to hold out for as long as we return. Good luck there.

David:

Good luck, Commander.

Commander Koenig:

Thanks.

Alan:

It is still eating people. It seems to be sitting around on Alpha.

Commander Koenig:

It swarms over Alpha, then it sits around like ivy. Like on the launch pad. But that doesn't matter now Alan, we need to get back to Varga and get those sleepers to explain what the hell that thing is. How are we doing for fuel?

Alan:

I've toped her up to full. Even still we don't know how far we have to reach back. And I'll still have to fly her above the planet in case of the storm. And then we have to get back and by that time the moon would have drifted even...

Commander Koenig:

Alan I know the situation. But that's the only thing we can do. And I only hope it won't be too late.

The Eagle flies, heading opposite from the Moon at a much faster speed, racing back to Varga.