A Wilted Flower called Eden

(This is my entry for Weekly Wattpad Contests #57 TimberWoolf Contests)

It was sudden, but most of the time everything was sudden. Life is a series of sudden, unexpected events which happens in a not so particular order. That is the way I always saw life even as the cancer came.

It was 1 am, I couldn't sleep. The IV tube connected to my hand was doing its work or trying to do at least, the chemo was struggling to keep up with the cancer.

The pain was numbed down by painkillers but it was still there, just like the cancer that was running through my veins. Leukemia sucks a ton.

It was rainy outside. I could hear the pitter- patter of the rain and it gradually started raining heavily and then came thunder and lightning. The winds were raging, the rain was piercing and the thunder was frightening. Then came a huge crash.

I pushed the covers away from myself and with quite some difficulty, got to my feet, taking the portable stand on which the liquid packet rested with me.

I pushed the blinds away from my glass panel window and peered outside.

The giant oak tree which used to be in the park in front of our house was now lying down on the ground. It looked miserable and defeated with its branches spread out and covering a large area of the ground, like a giant who had been slain.

Then came a faint "Meow".

I squinted and I could make out a yellow, fluffy figure stuck beneath the tree. Crap, a cat was stuck beneath the tree. I looked down at my IV tube and cursed cancer for the millionth time, I could never make it there. I hung my head down in dismay, looking at the kitty with pity.

Then, like a light in the darkness I saw a miracle happen. The door to  the house next door to ours opened and a boy about my age came running out. I couldn't make out  his features in the dark and I hadn't seen him much as he moved here five days ago.

He ran towards the park ignoring the tide of rain acting like a anchor and making his clothes sag down. He seemed unfazed as it reached his eyes and just continued. 

When he reached the tree, he was panting. I couldn't hear him but he mumbled something to the cat.
Then, he tried to lift the tree and as expected failed.

Then, he took a different approach. He didn't try to lift the tree but to shift it which worked. The cat was free and it licked his shoe.

I smiled, looking at them. He took the cat in his arms and petted it.
The cat then went away on its way.

The boy made his way back and I wanted to hide behind the blinds but he saw me before I could draw them and gave me a crooked smile. To my surprise, I smiled back at him.

********************************

Finneas Rockshow is his name. Today, he came to our house. The doorbell rand around 2pm. I was binge watching anything I could find on the TV with my mom when the door bell disturbed us.

"I'll get it" Mom said, and went to get the door. I kept my eyes glued to the screen.

Then, I heard a soothing, unfamiliar, deep voice. "These are for you Mrs. Brook" He said.

Curious, I got up and slowly walked to the lobby of the front door. I peeked from a corner and saw him.

Now, I could see him. He had black hair perched on his head like curls. His blue eyes were currently looking at my mom and it seemed as if even his eyes smiled. His lips were caressed in his crooked smile. In his hands was a tray of cookies.