Always

May looked at Aaron gratefully. As she puked her insides out, she still couldn't ignore the fact that he was holding her hair back. Even though her mouth tasted pure bile, she couldn't help but smile at him when she turned around.

The alcohol was surely getting to her. It must be.

Aaron tucked a stray strand of hair behind her hair and said, "Now wash that pretty face of yours" and she nodded at him.  Was it getting to her? Why did this friendly statement he made on regular basis sound different today? Was there an undertone to it?

They both got up from the bathroom floor and she opened the tap. She used the mouthwash in the bathroom cabinet to wash her mouth and cleaned her face.

Aaron was looking at her like she was doing the most interesting thing in the world. That's just the way Aaron looked at her and she sure had noticed.

It made her feel special, there might be some feelings on his end but she wasn't so sure about that so she just kept to herself mostly.

Something was different today.

Maybe the alcohol had made her more observant? Or maybe it had made her blow everything out of proportion?

When she was done, she turned to him with a smile brighter than the sun and he gave her a crooked grin.

"There's the May I know and love" he said. That made May think for a minute, "Love". She thought maybe he was just using the BFF kind of love and her stomach churned in disappointment.

She was still hopeful though, May was always hopeful.

She smiled anyway and yawned dramatically.

"I am tired" she announced and received a toothed grin in return.

"Let's get you to bed, then" Aaron announced and took her hand just in case she was still tipsy. But she wasn't' tipsy. She wasn't even drunk. She had taken a swig and that was enough to make her puke, guess she just didn't like the taste.

She was conscious of the curve of his hands and how warm it felt against her cold skin.

Once they reached her bed, Aaron helped tuck her into bed but when he turned to leave, she held his hand.

He turned to look at her with one raised eyebrow and was greeted with a pout which made him smile.

"I don't wanna be alone tonight" She said and he understood.

It was because of the very reason she had tried to drink alcohol even though she knew it didn't suit her. It was because of the very reason she had called Aaron, her best friend and unrequited love at 2AM.

"I'll take the floor then" Aaron said as she released his hand.

"No, I need you next to me. I need a hug" May said, playing with the hem of her blanket.  If Aaron was surprised, he didn't show it. Wordlessly, he joined her under the covers.

She placed her head on his chest and listened to the beating of his heart. It was steady, like a metronome and before she knew she was making a beat to the beating of his heart.

His arms found their way to her back and he held her close.
He didn't say anything just looked at her fluorescent star-covered ceiling.

"Everything's gonna be okay" he said, sensing she was still awake.
She was looking at the rising and his falling of his chest, like the tides of the ocean. 

"We both know it won't be" She said with a sigh and he hated that it was the truth.

"It sucks so much. After all these years..." He said but stopped himself, she understood. The only person in the world May had, the only family she had was her mom. Now, her mom had left her without a word.

After nineteen years of living together and raising her, she had left her with just a note which said: I'm sorry my Mayflower. I had to leave for myself.  I couldn't do it anymore. I hope you understand. Don't try to contact me.

Just like that her little world had shattered and there was this big empty crack left.

That's all it took for May to break down. All it took for her to disintegrate into a billion pieces. She had tried to hold back the tears the second she read the letter.  She willed herself to be strong, she tried to distract herself with alcohol but it didn't work.

She knew she had to be strong but she felt comfortable being weak around Aaron. It was okay being weak or strong around him, she trusted him.

Her tears came like a Hurricane. Her sobs were raging thunder. Aaron's t-shirt was the mud getting wet under the rain.

He didn't say a word, words weren't needed. He played with her hair and mumbled "It will be okay" after periodic intervals.

He didn't believe it though, he wasn't sure she'd ever be okay.

She shook like the trees during a storm and he held her like the roots are held by the ground.  He could hold her for eternity if she needed it, he wouldn't get tired of her.

Finally, after twenty minutes of thunder and lightning; the storm subsided. Her breathing was heavy and her sobs became quieter and quieter. She stopped shaking and then pulled her face away from his shirt.

Her face was wet like a window after the rain. He used the hand which wasn't holding her to wipe her tears, carefully. 

Then, he let go of her for minute to get her some water from the jug on her Nightstand. 

She drank the water like it was the elixir of life and they resumed their previous position only this time, they were both looking at the ceiling.

"I'm here you know. Always" He said and she believed him.

Their eyes met and she said the words which would eventually come true "We'll be there for each other, together..always"

A/N: So here's a story which isn't heartbreaking.  Finally! I wrote this a while ago but didn't feel like publishing it. Now, somehow, the time feels right. I hope you enjoyed it! :)