The Lighthouse (WWC New 1 : Vignettes & Slices)

The light of the lighthouse cloaked the water in a beam of white. The dusky sky intermingled with the endless ocean at the horizon.

I looked through the glass windows of the lighthouse, at the view below. The ocean danced from corner to corner, it's waves doing an intricate waltz. A few gulls screeched as they flew away into the horizon.

The rocks at the bottom of the lighthouse were already glimmering in the soft, luminescent glow of early moonlight. I sighed.

I placed my hand on the cold glass, willing it to disappear. Of course, it didn't.

My heart longed to be one with the sea. To feel the deep blue waters distort and consume my body. To watch the fish swim with me and around me. To watch myself through a lens of blue. I sighed again.

I opened the glass doors right next to the window which led to the balcony. It felt like the world had suddenly come alive.

I could hear the wind kissing the glass panes around me. My hair danced with the wind as if suddenly, they were alive too. The lighthouse beam was right above me, a still wanderer who confined to circles. A shapeshifter of two forms, a teleporter between two points.

Perhaps, the light had it worse than me or perhaps not. At least, it could cast it's glow upon the ocean and claim it as it's own. It could make it's marks on the dynamic beast.

The waters were shifting. The clouds were gathering together under a black blanket. A storm was coming.

I watched a ship gather speed as it sailed to the shore. If the ship did sink today, it would sink with the realisation that once it sailed. It sailed and fought bravely amidst the treacherous waves and lost but it fought. All that mattered was that it fought. It would sink and it' name will be remembered. It would not sink as a Titanic but at least it will be a Marie. It will be something.

I gripped the railing as the raindrops started falling.

The raindrops fell slowly at first and then descended into an unwelcome embrace. They fell like shards against my body, I hugged my arms close my chest.

The rain was caught up in a cycle. From the oceans to the clouds and from the clouds to the oceans. But it was free.

It was free even if it was confined to the same events over and over again. It was free because it could kiss the ocean and feel what it's like to be one with the unpredictable beast. It was free because it could then evaporate and feel what it's like to separated. Then, in the clouds it was one again.

It was free because it was not stuck in the same place but different places. It was free because it could drift off towards the rivers, the earth or even human throats.

It was free. I wasn't.