Blind the Sun

The day I met Jaiden, the sky was grey. The clouds were dark with misery, floating with the whispering wind. The rain was falling heavily, I was soaking wet. 

We were playing football. "Autumn, pass the ball" Diego, my elder brother shouted. Me, being the unruly child I was, I ignored him. 

I was confident as the rain fell against my clothes, the thunder growled in conformation. 

I was almost there, there were many other kids from the park surrounding me, trying to get the ball. I ducked and saved the football from them countless times. 

And then, the inevitable happened. I slid across the wet, muddy ground and fell down. I gave a cry of pain as my whole body weight fell on my left leg. I wasn't sure but I think I heard a crack. 

Seconds later, everyone was crowded around me. Everyone except Diego. My selfish brother had taken the opportunity to kick the ball into the empty net and was celebrating his "goal".  I sighed, he would never change. 

The pain was overwhelming and tears started welling in my eyes. The other kids tried to get me to stand up but my leg wouldn't budge. 

Being the eleven year old girl I was, I started howling and wailing in pain and that definitely got Diego's attention. 

"What happened?" He asked, making his way through the crowd, towards me. I glared at him and then realization dawned on him.

"Oh yeah, you fell" He said, sheepishly. Concern took over his face and I wanted to kick his so bad that I was willing to sacrifice my already injured leg. 

"I can't get up. My leg!" I said, pointing at my leg which was bent at a weird angle. My fourteen year old brother tried to be the Knight in shining armor like he had seen in the movies. 

He placed a hand on my waist and I looked at him with horror. Was he about to do what I thought he was going to do? NOOO!

But it was too late, he tried to pick me up bridal style but we both tumbled to the ground, me on top of him. 

"Holy Grandma's pancakes" I said as my face crashed across his stomach. "Owwww" he howled in pain. 

"That's what you get for being an idiot. You are a skinny kid, how could you pick up someone who is ten kilograms heavier than you?" I said, using all the strength I had to get away from him. My leg was throbbing. 

He sighed, holding his stomach and then stood up. 

"Okay, I'm calling Mom" he said and pulled out his phone. Idiot. That is what he should have done in the first place. 

The hospital smelled nasty. I mean pure nasty. It smelled of odd chemicals which were messing with my brain. Plus, the sheets on the bed the doctor made me lie on smelled like ketchup. 

After hours of winding around a cast, plaster and pain killers, the doctor handed a slip with medicine prescriptions on it to my mother and then he started discussing the dosage. I was obviously bored and looked at the child on the bed next to me. 

She looked to be about my age. Her brown hair was longish at the front and short at the back, her green eyes were focused on the cast around her hand. To my eleven year old eyes, she looked as cute as a puppy. 

"Hello" I said, waving at her. She looked up at me as if surprised. "Hi" she whispered, I could barely hear her. 

She was obviously sad. I tried again, "Is there something wrong?". She looked at me for a minute and bit her lip as if wondering whether she should tell me or not. 

"Yes, my friends were supposed to visit me today and sign my cast but they didn't turn up. I understand that they are far away but they said they'd visit today" She said, looking glum. Now, I did notice a marker on the little table beside her bed.