A Day in Nowhere

My day starts with the sound of the coffee being poured from the coffee machine. I am sure it is one of the residents, either David or Mia pouring it, eager to get their dirty bean fuel in them to kick-start  their gears.

While I toss and turn on my bed in the RV, hearing the coffee sounds through my window. At last, I give up on trying to fall asleep again and wash up in the sink. Then, I walk out; still pyjama-clad wearing a vest.

That is how a day starts in Nowhere. For me, at least.

For others it’s different. For instance, Madeline does not have anyone drinking coffee by her window as she lives on the west end. Her little makeshift garden stretches out in front of her pastel RV . She starts her day when the Sun peeks through her blinds and when the birds start chirping on her Giant Oak tree where she has made this birdhouse. She gets out of bed and makes some green tea.

She starts the day by watering her plants and eating breakfast. After that, she usually takes her painting supplied to the hills of the mountains or to the forest or just disappears into some place unknown in her car.

She stays out for most of the day and comes back at noon with a finished or half-finished painting or some days with nothing but a smile on her  face. She places the supplies back and then talks to the people around town.

She makes lunch for herself and old Miss. Ellis who insists she can cook for herself but Madeline knows she can't so she insists she take it on the pretence of trying out her new dish.

At night, she sits by the fire with others as they tell stories. She tells her own stories and listens patiently to others'. She talks about travelling and art, but her talk about travelling is synonymous with her talk of art.

She wants to reflect the brilliance of the world as seen through her eyes and understood by her mind onto the page, just to see if someone else sees the world like she does.

That is the life she lives in Nowhere.

For Jacob, it's different. Jacob is in his late-fifties and awfully good at carpentry. His day starts with him waking up at dawn to make breakfast with his wife. They cook together in the little house he has made.

They sing as they cook and if you pass by their house you can hear them. None of them sings very well but together their singing is more beautiful than the most trained singers'.

After that, they set out for the day. Jacob’s wife, aptly named Dawn likes to paint the wooden sculptures Jacob makes. They make these sculptures and sell them online for pretty high earnings as they are pretty good at woodwork.

Jacob sits on his workbench and Dawn sits by his side with her brush. An old 80s country song plays in the background as they work together. They talk about each other, about their kids who now have houses of their own and come  to visit them every two weeks and their days. They enjoy each other's company for many hours until they go in and cook together again.

They eat dinner with the others and one could tell they were deeply in love with another just by the way they looked at each other. They not only love each other but also like each other and love each other's company which is a rare thing to find in this world.

Then, there’s Miss Ellis. She is in her late-eighties and is as fit as a horse but cannot stand the fire and the fumes. She is a widow, her husband passed away in her thirties.

She is perfectly content with her life. She plays the piano and teaches young pianists how to play it in the afternoon. Even in Nowhere, people come to learn. She is a great teacher, she used to be one in the local school in Indiana until she retired and moved here.