6: hoodie

theo

"I couldn't sleep," Theo whispered as Tanner sighed, sliding under the covers and rolling onto his side.

         "It's been four hours and you haven't slept in three days." Theo bit his lip.

         "I wanna, but... I just can't." Tanner nodded, visibly fighting to keep his eyes open. "Hey, you can, though."

        "No, I wanna know you're able to sleep." Theo shook his head, rolling onto his back.

        "You look exhausted, and I'm a guest in your apartment. It'll do no good if neither of us sleep, so you at least have to." Tanner hesitated and then nodded, smiling softly at Theo. He then propped himself up and set up a pillow barrier between the two, which earned a wave of relief in Theo. The thought of sharing a bed with someone was fine, but he didn't want to be to close to him. Tanner then snuggled back down and within a minute was snoring softly. He rolled over, facing away from Theo, which unexpectedly made him feel even more alone. Something about hearing Tanner outside had been almost enough to lull him to sleep, but with him here, sleeping next to him, it was somehow worse. He knew he likely wouldn't rest tonight.

|||

Theo stared up at the ceiling, drowsily thinking about everything and nothing. With a start, he realized that Tanner was shaking. A quick glance at the clock told him it was three A.M. Tanner was completely panicked, mumbling some girl's name in his sleep.

       "Tanner! Hey, Tanner, wake up!" Theo harshly whispered, shaking his shoulder. Tanner snapped awake, sitting up too quickly and wacking his head against Theo's.

        "Where... Theo... oh god." Tears suddenly poured from his face as he made eye contact with Theo.

         "Tanner, what happened?" Theo asked, but Tanner jumped to his feet and raced into the hallway in reply. Before Theo could follow him, he shut the door quite loudly. Despite that, he pushed the door open, nervous at Tanner's sudden panic. He sat with his back against the wall and in his arms lay the sweatshirt that had been hanging on the hook by the door earlier. He held it to his chest, inhaling its scent as he softly cried. "Tanner... oh my god."

        "I'm sorry," he stuttered, looking away and rubbing his eyes.

        "For what? Are you okay?" Theo sat next to him, laying a supportive hand on his knee.

        "Bad dream." Theo stared at him, bewildered. He gestured to the hoodie but Tanner shook his head. "Can we just talk about that in the morning?" He held the sweatshirt closer and leaned a bit closer Theo, still not touching. Theo nodded, stroking his knee softly.

        "Yeah, sure. Do you wanna go back to sleep, or..." Theo began to stand up, but Tanner grabbed his hand quickly.

        "Can we just sit here for a little while?" Pure desperation and loss mixed in Tanner's teary eyes, forcing Theo to nod as he sat next to him.

          "Okay."

|||

Tanner fell asleep. He still held the hoodie tightly against his chest, his head had lolled onto Theo's shoulder after he drifted into slumber. It took Theo longer to slip into rest, but eventually he did.

Now, he blinked open his eyes, slowly taking in his surroundings. He was alone in the hallway, leaning against the wall with a crook in his back and neck. The random sweatshirt was hung up on the hook again which stuck him as a bit odd. He stood up, stretching as he'd slept in an awkward position, against a hard wall.

       "Hey," Theo tentatively asked, entering the kitchen where Tanner sat at the table.

        "Hi." Tanner's voice was quiet, like he hadn't slept much.

         "Are you... are you okay?" Tanner nodded, raising his eyebrows.

      "Of course. Why wouldn't I be? Are you okay?" Theo squinted slightly, lost.

        "Tanner, we both know why you wouldn't be okay." Tanner's act faltered, his eyes unfocusing slightly.

         "I'm fine. Whatever. How are you?" Theo sighed, sitting across from him at his table.

         "I'm fine. Whatever. Come on, Tanner, tell me the truth."

          "Fuck off," he said with an obviously fake laugh.

         "Talk to me." Tanner hesitated, running his hands through his hair.

          "I...." his face suddenly hardened. "I don't know what you're talking about. I woke up in the hall and don't know why. Leave me alone." He left the table quickly, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. Theo sighed, staring down at his hands. It was rather odd. Tanner said he hated Theo, he even 'attacked' him in the hall! Then, out of no where, he let him stay in his home? What was going on?

           "Tanner?" Theo walked down the hall, guilt overwhelming him.

            "Leave me alone," he hissed as he slammed the door to his room, but not quickly enough. Theo noticed his tear stained cheeks and puffy eyes.

I guess you never really understand people.