10: skipping school (again)

theo

Theo blinked open his eyes to morning sunshine filtering through Tanner's half closed curtains. He was warm beneath the blankets, comfortable and safe. Tanner lay close next to him, his expression soft as he unconsciously faced Theo. He was still asleep, snoring gently. Theo rolled onto his side so his face is buried in his chest. It was truly odd, the way Tanner acted around him. One second he hates him, and the next he woke up in a panic because he'd dreamt Theo had died. He said he didn't like him, but he didn't have any problem with sharing his bed with him. It just didn't make any sense.

       "What is wrong with you, Tanner Walsh?"

|||

        "Hey." Tanner yawned slightly, rubbing his eyes as he slowly woke up. Theo softly smiled at him, pulling the white blanket closer to his chin. He'd pushed himself away from Tanner before he'd woken up, not wanting to freak him out. Theo's feelings towards him- whatever they may be- didn't matter. Whether he cared about Tanner or not was irrelevant- he was staying in his house and wanted to make him feel as normal as he could.

           "Hi." Theo studied Tanner's face, noticing a tiny splash of freckles across his nose. He had warm brown eyes, a kind compliment to his sandy blonde hair and tanned skin. Tanner seemed to notice his awkward staring, smirking at him ever so slightly. "You've got freckles!" Theo quickly rambled, pleaded to see a blush pass across Tanner's rose cheeks.

         "Maybe. You've got way more than I do and glasses that you never wear."

         "I look like more of a dork with them!" Tanner shakes his head, shocked.

         "No you don't," Tanner mumbled, averting his eyes. He looked up at Theo and his cheeks turned an even darker shade of pink. "I mean- I'm only saying that you already look so stupid all the time. The glasses aren't really adding anything."

          "You're so mean," Theo laughed, tossing a pillow at Tanner's head .

          "Yes, I'm a cruel and evil monster." Theo grinned even wider, laughing, really laughing. He hadn't truly laughed like this in a while.

           "I hate you," he grumbled, smiling all the while. Tanner returned his expression with a toothy grin that seemed to split his constantly bored appearance.

            "Thanks," Tanner said, stretching and gazing around his room. "What time is it?"

            "I've got no idea." Theo sighed, knowing that they were probably late for school. Tanner unexpectedly rolled over and pulled the blanket over Theo's shoulders, tucking them around his body.

            "I don't really care, actually," Tanner said, and Theo raised his eyebrows inquisitively. 

          "And why's that? We have school today, stupid," Theo observed, rolling away from Tanner to get out of bed.

          "Like I said, I don't care. We aren't going today," Tanner said calmly, his hand reaching out and grabbing Theo's wrist. He pulled him back onto the bed, Theo flaking onto his back and staring up at Tanner's face. He looks completely unbothered, the asshole! "Flustered much?"

        "What do you mean? We can't do that!" Theo snapped, ignoring Tanner's previous comment as he only laughed softly in reply.

     "You're so scared of everything. Loosen up! Skipping school isn't a big deal."

          "It is a big deal when I missed a full week of it!" His statement warns hmmmmm earns him an eye roll.

"Like you said, you were mourning, and still are. They'll excuse the absences."

"Tanner...." muttered Theo, glancing away but, for some reason, not wanting to leave his warm bed.

        "Well, now you don't get a choice. You're staying right here." Theo rolled his eyes.

            "You're gonna force me to skip school?" Tanner nodded slightly, grinning once more.

          "Yup," he laughed, tightening his grip on Theo with gentle but firm pressure. For some reason his force didn't bother Theo, with someone else he would've been worried that he really would force him to stay, but he knew Tanner would let him go if he really wanted him to.

         "Fine, but only because you're mean."

"That doesn't even make any sense."
|||

Theo stared at the ceiling of Tanner's kitchen, interested by the complex design. Pale yellow tiles with tiny flowers looked back down at him, giving him a small smile.

"What are you beaming at, dork?" Tanner sat across the counter from Theo, his legs crossed as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I'm pretty sure I'll offend you if I answer that question," Theo said as he mischievously grinned back at him.

"Oh, really?" Tanner pretended to look outraged but laughed, leaning across the counter.

"Yep." Theo attempted to hold back his own laughter, failing slightly as short giggles escaped him.

"Tell me." Tanner said, leaning closer.

"Nah."

"Theo!" Tanner rolled his eyes, snorting. "You're such an ass."

"Fine. I'm just thinking about how you don't ever really know someone until you really talk to them, like, one on one. Like, I'd never expect the cliche "cool football guy" to have a pale yellow flower-print ceiling! I mean, what?" Theo started laughing even harder at Tanner's indignant expression.

"I don't even play football," Tanner muttered, pouting at Theo.

"Oh, don't tell me I actually offended you," Theo said, shaking his head with a laugh.

"Plus, my parents chose this apartment, not me!" Tanner tried to keep his annoyed expression intact but then cracked up. "You're mean."

"Yeah, I know." Tanner pushed himself onto the counter, crossing his legs once more and glaring at Theo.

"You're also mean because I can't be mad at you when you laugh because you look so dumb."

"Really?" Theo said, looking up at Tanner optimistically while simultaneously fidgeting with his hands awkwardly.

"Oh... I... I don't- well... yeah. I mean, you're dumb. Stupid. Whatever," Tanner rambled, suddenly closing up. Theo jumped up, giving him a sideways look.

"You are so weird," he whispered, still grinning. Tanner smiled softly back at him, relaxing again. Theo pushed himself away from the counter, walking to the living room. "So weird!"