Chapter 12

That red star in the sky was really getting on my nerves. It was cold out and the air had a burning sent to it. I looked up at the star as it kept getting higher and higher in the sky and looked as though it could replace the missing sun. Out of nowhere, a shadow figure of some guy came out of the sky strait into me...... and Impelled by chest! Pain shot through me! It was unbearable! I looked up!........ All Red!

I shot up! My heart was racing! A dream? Whatever that shadow thing was, it terrified me! No idea why?....... I need to find Nick!
A e
I pulled over the blankets and got up out of the pink and gray colored bed. It squeaked as I got up. I was surprisingly very comfortable for an old bed. Not to mention the fact that this place has been run down for almost 4 years now. As I walked over to the so called "kitchen" I realized...... I forgot the food! The one thing I needed! Great!
I haven't eaten for almost 48 hours and I needed something....... like, now! Maybe I could find something on the street? Now a days most people don't have enough money for even a simple can of soup, but for the more fortunate and generous people out here, they come and leave food on the street for any by passers that are in need of food. Maybe I could find something!

I walked over to look out the window or what was the window....
And Down, in the middle of the street was a man, with a long white beard, bald head and an almost cute looking wrinkly face. He had big brown eyes and was wearing a light gray rain coat with dark brown boots.
It was Albert!
My friend from the market! He was looking straight up at my window and had a huge grin on his face once he saw me. He must have been waiting there for a really long time because his coat was drenched in the morning dew and his knees were bent as if he were about to fall down. He had been the only person to know where exactly my apartment was and I would invite him over from time to time.

He waved up at me and smiled! He looked so happy! I waved back and gestured to the door of the apartment. He new exactly what I was trying to say and started to walk into the old apartment building. I didn't want to have him walk up all those stairs , so I grabbed by pack and ran into the hallway and down the stairs. Why was he here? Did he know that I needed him yesterday? He was in his high 80s and was still going strong! He would tell me that the only rule he ever set for himself was to never stop. That was it. He never said what I was to never stop for but It didn't really matter right now.

When I walked down to the lobby to find him sitting in the corner chair of the room. Eyes fixed on the keys that where left here when the world shattered to pieces.
"There you are!" He said looking up at me with a small grin.
"Sorry! I just woke up. How long have you been waiting?"

"Probably 3 hours now." He looked down at his rain coat. He really liked that coat. It was all ragged up and even though he probably has enough coins to by the new one, he refused. He said it was the first thing he bought when he left his old life and he wanted to cherish it forever.

"So many people lived here before this world became a dump...." He said suddenly very serious as he looked back at the hundreds of keys left on the board behind the front desk. "It's sad to think of how many people died....."

"Yeah...... hey I never asked you.... did you have any family before this happened? I said extending the word "this" and held up my hands to show a gesture.

He looked back up, his big eyes studying my pale, freckled check face. "Yes.... I had someone......." He looked down.

"I'm sorry...."

"Don't be. It's how the world is nowadays.... you have to leave your past behind to move on in the future."

There was a pause of silence. I took a step forward. I stopped when I heard glass under my feet.

"Oh yeah! I brought you some cookies." Albert said change his mood suddenly.

"Cookies?! What kind!" I asked about to jump up and down.

"Lemonades!" He said standing up and walking over to me.

"My favorite!!! Thank you so much!"

He handed the bag to me.

"Where you going?" He studied me.

"What do you mean?"

"I know when your on to something." He grinned.

"I just..... going out to see someone."

"Oh! Who?" He sounded excited.

"A guy I met at the market. I forgot to thank him for helping me out yesterday."

"Oh well! I'll be on my way then!" He said turning around. "Good luck! And stay safe!"

"I will!"
Hopefully.....