10

You were staring right at Luke Skywalker's face - for the first time in years.

"I came to face him, Leia. And I can't save him."

"I know," she said. "I held out hope for so long, but... I know my son is gone."

She looked at you. Slowly, Luke did, too. 

You glanced between the two siblings, feeling your heartbeat quicken.

Luke stood. "Rey told me you were with him. I didn't want to believe her."

"Why?" you whispered, your voice full of hatred. "You'd hoped they killed me all those years ago, huh? You blame me for dragging your nephew down with me. Maybe I was the reason he decided to completely flip, but it wasn't my plan to make that happen. We were just kids." Tears were in your eyes. "I never asked for this life. Ben didn't either. The Force willed it this way. You want to blame me for this? Fine. You want to kill me for it? I have no power to stop you."

He didn't say anything. Instead, he turned to his sister and said, "You say your son is gone. But Leia... no one's ever really gone." He then pressed something into her palm and then pulled his hand back. Then he stood and kissed her head gently.

When he turned back to you, he waved his hand. "You're coming with me," he said. 

You followed him as he headed towards the outside.

Everyone watched as Luke left, you following several feet behind him. He held up a hand, telling you to wait - before he stepped out of the mine himself, standing before entire First Order.

/ / /

Kylo couldn't believe what he was seeing. 

It was bittersweet, seeing Luke Skywalker standing in front of him. In a way, it was freeing. Finally, he had his chance. Everything he had been waiting for was about to play out. Luke had given up. 

But Kylo didn't have you by his side to see it happen. Everything you had worked for and dreamed of was dashed just minutes before what could've been your victory. 

After all you had endured. The abuse, the fighting, the struggle-

And you were killed anyway.

That fueled him to be full of such strong hate that he shook. 

"I want every gun we have to fire on that man," he said, jaw tight. 

"Are you out of your mind?" Hux questioned. 

Kylo ignored him. As strange as the order seemed, he knew how dangerous Luke Skywalker was. And he was so overcome with grief that all he wanted was to see his uncle perish in front of him. 

"Do it," he said. 

One hit. Two hits. Three. 

"More!" he shouted, hands balling into fists. 

Salt flew up into the air, red and white flying upwards. As the ships fired rapidly, through the explosions of salt, he saw someone else.

He sucked in a sharp intake of air and staggered forward. "Wait!" he shouted, throwing out his arm. "Stop! Hold your fire!" 

"Would you make up your mind-" Hux started. 

"Hold you fire I said!" Kylo shouted. 

They obeyed. 

The red dust settled-

He held his breath-

Did he really see-