12

several days later

Kylo was a mess. For nights, he would lay awake, tormented by his thoughts. You couldn't sleep knowing that he was so tortured; most nights you sat awake, rubbing his bare back as he face away from you, gripping the sides of the bed.

"Failure is part of learning," you told him on the third night of no sleep. "Skywalker is dead and you are one step closer to crushing the Resistance."

"That is not what keeps me awake," he said.

"Then what is it?" Now alarmed, you crawled across the bed and settled at his side. One hand flat against his back and the other gripping his chin gently, turning his face towards you, you whispered, "You can tell me. I will help you."

"Hux will do anything he can to convince you to be overthrown or killed."

"Hux would not go against authority, no matter how much he hated who ruled above him," you said.

Kylo's voice was a mere whisper. "He has lost respect for authority. He does not respect you. I have seen it in his eyes - he wants you dead."

"Perhaps you are right," you said, sighing and shrugging. "But you and I will fight. We always do."

He dropped his head.

"Kylo?"

"I wish we could live in a universe where we were untouched."

Your eyes softened. You didn't know what to say. He knew you wished the same, but it seemed like no matter where you went, you were being challenged, threatened, or placed in grave danger.

You leaned in and pressed your lips to his shoulder.

/ / /

On the safety of the ship, you observed all of the ruins that the Resistance spacecraft had left behind. Shattered fragments of all you had built; burned remains of soldiers that had been trained from birth, pieces that would take years to build back together. As you stood among the remains, you thought of all that was lost - and all that could have been lost.

"Supreme Leader," one of your lower ranking officers said, his hands folded behind his back. "There is no sign of Captain Phasma."

"Keep searching," you said, although you knew deep down that she was gone as well. "We need a perfect count of everyone that is missing."

"Yes, Supreme Leader," he said, bowing. "We are doing all that we can."

"I know. Keep at it. You're doing well." As he turned away, you added, "We will rebuild what we have lost. This is not the end of the First Order. It is just the beginning."

"Thank you, Supreme Leader." He paused before uttering a greeting by saying, "Commander."

Kylo Ren moved to stand by your side. 

"Did you sleep?" you asked him.

"Some," he replied.

"Go lay back down while I begin to put back together what we lost," you said, gripping his arm. "I am worried for you."

"I can't sleep," he whispered.

You gave him a saddened look.

"I have work to do," he said.

You nodded.

His hand cupped your chin and he lowered himself to kiss you. Your eyes slowly shut and you pressed your mouth against his, fingers moving to grip his sleeve tighter for just a moment.

"I'll see you for dinner," he said gently, and you nodded.

"I love you," you whispered, and you watched him go through the doorway, stepping over the ruins of the ship.

You turned away from the ruins and moved to the viewport. The stars still littered the ebony vastness in front of you. As you stared, you listened.

Something was calling you. 

Someone was calling you.

At first, you thought to yourself, Rey. 

But this was different - it was stronger. 

And the voice was gentle and soft; filled with a mother's love. 

And as it spoke, it said-

Come home, Ben. I miss you. You are loved. You are loved here.

"Leia," you breathed. So she had not yet given up on her son, despite telling Luke that she had already. 

It very nearly broke your heart to hear from her; despite all that he had done, she wanted him. Someone else wanted him.

I will never give up on you, my son. I love you.

But you knew your husband's answer before you felt it speak through you.

Ben Solo is dead. Kylo Ren has risen in his place.

She tried again. Please-

Tiredly, as if he was sick of having to speak this truth to himself and to Rey, his mother, and his uncle, Kylo responded (and cold shot through your veins)-

Where she goes, I will go. 

You blinked and swallowed hard. Turning from the viewport, you saw the man you loved so much step in through the open doorway, stepping over the burned corpses of stormtroopers that had no names.

You made your decision.