11

Kylo broke the cuffs off of your wrists. Once your hands were free, you looked at him. He was sad; his hair fell around his forehead in a mess, his lip pushed out in disappointment. You knew that he was ashamed and embarrassed. 

"Hey," you said softly, reaching up and cupping his face in your palms. His eyes lifted up and you stroked his cheeks. "They fooled both of us. Don't put all of the blame on your shoulders."

He took in a deep breath. 

"My love," you said, "please."

He nodded, face somber. But half a second later, his face was erased of all emotion and he turned crimson.

A loud voiced called out from across the way. "What were you thinking?" 

Kylo flinched. You felt your blood run cold. 

Hux was striding over, stepping confidently against the salted ground. His voice was laced with bitter annoyance and you could feel all of the obnoxious words sitting on his tongue.

"You just foolishly handed the entire war over to the Resistance, Ren. All so you could face a Skywalker alone? You must be-"

You dropped your hands from Kylo's face, unsheathed his lightsaber from his belt and ignited it. You spun it before turning it on Hux--

Right away, Kylo grabbed your wrist and pulled you back. 

"My word," Hux gasped, stepping backwards. He was scared, but amused. He even laughed. With a sickly sweet and sly voice, he said, "Why - you could be arrested for treason if you murder a First Order General, Princess. Surely you know that."

You looked at Kylo as he removed the lightsaber from your grip and replaced it with his hand. He glared at you. "She does," he said. "Let's not get into this at the moment."

"If it continues, you may have an uprising on your hands, Ren. I would learn to control your wife." 

Kylo ignored him. Angrily, he said, "Come on. Let's go check inside. Kill anyone that may be in there. We take no prisoners."

You glared at General Hux until you turned away, walking hand in hand with Kylo towards the entrance of the mine. Stormtroopers followed the two of you as you stepped inside. 

"I don't mean to make things worse," you whispered to Kylo. "I just hate him with everything in me. I need him to shut up-"

"Turning a weapon on someone of lower rank than you is dangerous. Everyone already suspects that you may have killed the Supreme Leader, and there are some - like General Hux - who prefer his reign over yours. Those loyal to Snoke still will find any reason to end your life."

"I understand," you whispered, throat tight. "I am sorry."

"You don't need to be," he said. He squeezed your hand. "Just be careful. I don't want to lose you now."

You nodded and fell quiet; in the silence, you realized how empty the mine was. As you both had suspected, it was abandoned. Not a single one had stayed behind. You had fallen for Luke's trick and missed your chance.

"They're all gone," you said, and he dropped your hand. "There's no use in having our troops search. It's obvious." He knelt down on the ground and picked something up off the dirt. He turned it in his hands. 

Stepping closer to him you whispered, "Kylo?"

Suddenly, you felt her there. You looked up in surprise.

And she was there. 

Instead of a wall and a set of old Resistance equipment, you saw the entrance to the Falcon. Rey stood by the steps, staring right at you. Her hand was on the switch to shut it, but she was hesitating. 

She was waiting for you to join her, even now, after you tried to kill her and went back to Kylo.

You stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder, conveying to her that you were staying. 

There was no doubt in your mind that whichever side Kylo Ren would be on, you would be on. You belonged by his side, no matter what. 

She stiffened as you made your choice and then looked away, shutting the door and sealing your fate. 

Kylo looked up at you, then where you were staring. Slowly, you dropped to your knees at his side. You hooked your arm with his and reached up, pressing your lips to his cheek for a long moment.

"What is it?" you asked, reaching for his palm, which was now empty. 

"Nothing," he mumbled. "She was here, wasn't she?"

"She was," you said. "But I am staying, Kylo." 

His fingers closed around your hands. You stared down at your face. "I thought I had lost you today. It was the worst pain imaginable. It felt like everything had been torn from me." His forehead met yours and his voice dropped to a low, desperate whisper. "Never leave me. Please."

"I never will," you promised.

"I failed you," he said. "You didn't get to fulfill your destiny by killing him."

"He's gone, Kylo," you whispered. "That is all that matters. We are free from that part of our past forever. So long as I live in a world where you and I are alive and my father, mother, sister, Snoke, and your uncle are gone, then I am okay.

"You could never fail me. You've saved me time and time again. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. If we weren't betrothed all those months ago, I wouldn't have had a reason to break the bonds I was tied up with. It is because of you, Kylo, that I am here today. You saved me. You are all I have and all I want to have. I will rule this galaxy with you by my side. I will happily do it all with you. Happily."

He tilted his head and kissed you. You kissed him back, moving one hand to grip the back of his head, your fingers tangled in his hair to hold him in place. 

General Hux stood in the doorway, glaring at the back of your head. As you pulled away from your husband, he turned away and sneered his nose before stomping off. Neither you nor Kylo noticed him; and neither noticed the gleam of hatred in his eyes.