Mates?

Jay's POV.

I am back in Forks, Washington, in my shed. I am writing in my journal about a nightmare I had last night. As I write, my mind begins to wander to Lioness's conversation with Jasper. I close my journal and wait for him to arrive so that I can ask.

As if on cue, he knocks on my door. I open it and let him in.

"Hey, Jasper," I say.

"Hello, Jay," he replies.

"We need to talk," We both say, causing both of us to smirk.

"Alright, what do you need to talk about?" Jasper asks me.

"It's about the conversation you had with Lioness, yesterday," I tell him.

"Oh, I was wanting to talk to you about something she brought up, actually. What is your question?" He asks.

"What did she mean when she called us mates?" I ask him.

"Well, vampires have a thing called soulmates. It is what gives us a reason to 'live' so to say. We can live fine without one, but with one, it makes everything a lot more bearable. Lioness, as you called her, figured out we were mates. I did know for a while, but I didn't know how to bring it up. I was scared you'd reject me," He tells me.

"I wouldn't have rejected you, Jasper. I just ask that we take it slow, as I haven't really had time to do this before," I explain to him.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"When my powers manifested, my brothers and I were on the run, never staying in the same place for more than a week, makes it hard to consider dating anyone," I explain to him.

He nods in understanding, "I will go at whatever pace you want, ok?"

"Ok," I say, with a giant smile on my face.

"Now, I have a question. What did Lioness mean when she asked me to accept you as you are and for all you did?" He asks, making dread and fear flow out of me like a rushing river.

"You don't have to be afraid, I am not gonna force you to tell me, I just want to know, eventually," He quickly adds, feeling my emotions.

Leading him to the bed, I sit down on it, with him sitting next to me.

"After the firing squad issue, my brothers and I were kept in a cell, waiting for someone to tell us what would happen to us. That's when Lieutenant Major William Styker found us. (A/N Don't know his actual rank...) He offered us a spot on his special forces team, Team X. It was a bunch of other mutants and some really dangerous people that made up his team. We were given mission after mission, we killed other mutants, said to be a danger to society, we killed humans, without mercy, we destroyed villages, never leaving anyone alive, not even the livestock. After 10 years of random missions, we get sent on a mission to find something. We never knew what it was until it was too late. We came across this village that was using an invincible metal, later to be known as Adamantium, when the villagers wouldn't tell us where to get it from, we killed them, all of them. All 278 of them. Logan left after that. I hadn't yet, we were back at the base when Stryker called me to his office, except we ended up in a lab. That was where he used the metal to infuse it into my bones, he later does this to Logan, but both of us got away because he was going to wipe our memories. So I eventually end up helping in saving the world a few times, but I was also captured by enemy mutants and by Stryker, again. There, I had managed to save my memories, using a gift I was given, my brother had already lost them once, and the other wants us dead. Anyway, Logan loses his memory for the second time, and we are trained to kill people again. Eventually, he gets saved, but I wasn't. They tortured me of a while, thinking I knew about it, but all that led to was more hatred for them. Around that time, Lioness came about. She isn't as much as another personality, but more of pure instinct. She managed to get us out, and free again. After that, I met Charlie, through babysitting him, and eventually, he learned about me. When he got married, I was captured again, by a bad mutant named Magneto, he has control over metal, so I could never face him, being made of metal. He tortured me for a while too, hoping I would give away the X-men's information, I never did. I didn't escape from there, though, I was rescued. After that war, I came here, where I have been ever since," I explain to him.

He comforts me as I wallow in self-pity, shame, and depression.

"I am not going to leave you because of your past. I have one too. We can discuss it tomorrow, though. You need to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up, ok?" He reassures me.

I nod, before snuggling into him and try to relax, waiting for sleep to claim me.

It is roughly 3 am, I am still awake. After sharing some of my life stories, I am sort of in a flashback of it all. I am seeing everything I ever did, I ever went through; every kill, test, experiment, torture session, everything.

I feel something tighten around me and panic. I start to fight my way out of whatever has me.

"Jay, calm down," I hear a voice say.

I shake my head and continue to fight. I unsheeth my claws and slash the thing around my arm. I hear a hiss of pain and freeze, immediately coming back to reality.

I pull my claws back in and look up at Jasper, in horror of what I have done. I get up from the bed and slowly back up. Next thing I know, I am running out the door into the woods.