Chapter 17- sunsets

Pulling away from Sodapop, I looked to see Dally standing there. He looked real mad.

"What are you doing Y/n?" Dallas said with anger, walking closer to us.

""What am I doing? So you leave me and then the next minute you decide to show up and care about me, or care who I'm with. You promised me Dallas Winston, you promised you wouldn't leave me again!" I shouted at him. I was bubbling up with anger. Dally made me so angry but at the same time he could make me so happy.

"So I leave for a bit and you decide to hook up with any guy you want huh!" he shouted right back at me.

"Don't you shout at her Dal!" Sodapop spoke up, standing up for me.

Dallas broke eye contact with me, now staring at Sodapop. He swung at Sodapop, punching him right in the face, Sodapop tackled him to the ground as they were fighting on the floor. The rest of the gang ran out trying to break it up.

"Jesus I can't even with you guys!" I shouted as my voice broke up.

I ran all the way to the Dingo. I sat in a booth as my head fell into my hands with tears running down my face. In the background I heard the bell ring, meaning a customer entered. I didn't look up to see who it was, I didn't care.

"This seat taken?" a voice said standing at my booth. I looked up to see Steve standing there with a smile.

"Uh no" I said giving him a forced smile as I wiped my tears away, hoping he wouldn't notice I was crying. He sat opposite me.

"So Sodapop and Dally huh?" he said trying to start a conversation.

"No it's not like that, we're just friends I guess" I said as he cocked a eyebrow at me.

"Do you make out with all your friends?" he chuckled.

"Uhh you saw that" I said resting my face in my hands from embarrassment, as we both laughed.

Me and Steve talked for ages, getting to know each other. It was nice getting to know Steve, I hadn't talked to him much before.

We walked back to the Curtis house, having a long conversation. Steve opened the door for me as I walked in, all eyes went on us.

Sodapop was there sitting on the couch, Dallas leaning against the wall smoking a cigarette. As soon as Dally saw me he walked straight pass me, walking out the door.

Steve must of seen that I was real upset by that, so he gave me a little nudge on the shoulder with his contagious smile. I sat down next to Sodapop as he put his arm around me, pulling me closer to him.

As everyone was talking and laughing, I couldn't stop thinking about Dallas. Should I have been that tough on him?

I stood up and walked outside, getting some fresh air sitting on the porch. The sun was setting and the air was cold. I lighted a cigarette trying to get my mind off things until I got interrupted by a voice.

"Do you like sunsets Y/n?" a voice broke through my thoughts. I turned around to see PonyBoy walking out the door as he sat beside me. I held out my pack of cigarettes as he took one and lighted it.

"Yeah I love sunsets" I said looking out at the sky. In the corner of my eye I saw a smile appear on PonyBoys face.

"Are the sunsets real nice in New York?" PonyBoy asked taking a drag of his cigarette.

"Yeah Pony, their real nice" I said looking at him with a smile.

"What's New York like?" He asked looking back at the sunset.

"Oh it's real nice, I love it and I reckon you would to. I have to take you there someday PonyBoy, you and Johnny." I said as he looked at me with a big smile.

"I would love that" he said taking a drag of his cigarette, looking back out again.