9

It's only when my brain accepts the fact that the water drops are not part of my imagination -and that Diana has already taken a step back away from me-, only then I break out of my transe-like state.

"Oh my god!"

In a few seconds, it feels like the Niagara falls are on our heads. We quickly run to get shelter, and I realize that I was so lost in her deep gaze just a few seconds before that I didn't even realize that it had probably been raining for a good minute. Indeed, the once animated street was all empty. Not even people running for shelter.

No one seems to have been surprised by the rain. No one except us.

We had found shelter on the doorstep of a small antique shop, which would've been a very romantic date- if it were open.

The whole thing -staring at each other in the rain, almost kissing- was awfully close to what I would see in those cheesy romantic movies that I love to hate. But we didn't kiss, and having soaking wet clothes is very uncomfortable, detail they always forget to mention in those awful movies.

Why am I even thinking of date, and romance, right now, I'm wondering. When the subject of all my fantasies is standing next to me, her dark soaking wet hair dripping down her back and shoulders. And when the subject of my dreams is right there, but not even close to paying attention to me.

The time she had spent very close to me, only a few moments ago, which seemed unrealistic, well she seems to be compensating by totally ignoring me now.

She hasn't uttered a word, watching the rain pouring, standing as far from me as possible. When my previous intention was to turn towards her to say something, break the awkward silence, I loose my focus and just stare at her.

I thought, earlier, in the cab, that she surely couldn't have been more beautiful.

Well I hadn't seen her drenched. Her long dark eyelashes are sticking together, making the blue of her eyes contrast even more. Her jet black hair is wet, her face flushed.

Suddenly, I become aware that I am staring, and she does too, apparently. Her body stays completely still, only her eyes move, as she gives me a side glance. I immediately look elsewhere.

And nothing happens. I don't find the courage to say something, something in her demeanour drastically changed, and I'm too much of a coward to face the possibility of rejection.

I'm not acting like myself. Not anymore. I'm acting as if she's not human, as if she can ruin my life if she doesn't respond in the same cheerful tone that I use, or if she doesn't smile back to the genuine smile her presence brings to my lips.

Still nothing happens. The Uber she called to bring us home soon comes, and she decides (after I sneeze a couple of times) that I will go home and that I need to get dry, and that my car can wait another day or two.

I leave the car muttering something about the great evening I had, even though I feel like the last fifteen minutes of it ruined the whole thing.

She doesn't even respond to this, nor to the 'goodnight' I throw at her in the same shameful tone.

And I go to bed, totally dry after a long hot shower, meditating about what went awfully wrong tonight. We went from odd confessions from Diana, to her not even saying a proper goodbye.

***

"Hey I just- I just called to know if, erm, if you would like to go get breakfast? I know it's only 9 am but I just though we-"

"Hey, hey ,hey. Of course I'd like that," she answers, and even though it doesn't come from the person I wished for, I have to admit, not being rejected feels good.