12

Kyle informed me, late last night, that he'd have to go and visit his parents the following weekend. He told me that their little cottage was located a few hours away from here, and that he'd probably take the train.

He seemed rather gloomy, not something you'd expect from someone who was about to visit their parents. He also seemed to want to ask something more, but didn't go through with it. I had forgotten everything about it, until we were driving to class on this early Monday morning.

I am driving, for once, and Kyle just stares silently out the window.

My phone is connected to the car, and Kehlani's beautiful voice is ringing through the car's speakers.

"My ring is yours,

Save it for me,

Everything is yours,"

Suddenly, he turns to me.

"You know how my father's a Marine right?"

"Yeah?" I know that, but I don't know a lot about his family. And I realize I should. As I I realize that I should be interested in the Coleman's family life, I realize something else.

Kyle is afraid to go see him.

"He's not a homophobe, is he?"

"Oh, he is. And racially biased. And a bit sexist. The holy Trinity, if you ask me."

I snort. "Seems like a delighful person."

I had seen Kyle's father once, when Kyle moved in as my roommate, and I had kept my distances. Instinct. I don't even know, firstly, if he even saw me, and secondly, if he realized I was the roommate, or just thought I was a cleaning lady.

Sadly, I would now opt for the latter.

The man was huge, even taller than Kyle, and it was no mystery where Kyle's height and stature had come from.

'You're certainly not the postman's son', I had joked harmlessly, to which he had responded something in the lines of: 'I wish I was.'

In August, when I met him for the first and only time, he had buzzed hair, no sign of a belly old people seemed to develop automatically. No, Mr. Coleman was standing straight like a ruler, and had hands larger than a pan lid.

"I can go with you Kyle .. And I know you were dying to ask me."

Unlike what I previously imagined how Kyle would react after my answer, he just turns to the window again, and sighs.

"What I was going to ask you is much, much worse."

I engage in the roundabout, just in front of the University's parking lot, and a car cuts my route just in front of me. I violently press the honk.

My mood is quickly going downhill.

Rolling my eyes in annoyance, I huff, knowing I can't keep my temper much longer. "Just tell me already! Stop with that suspense shit!"

"I want you to act as my girlfriend."

I try not not seem phased, as I can feel Kyle's big brown eyes on me. I am turning off the engine when I finally reply.

"Sounds like something straight outta movie. Then what? We fall in love?"

Kyle shakes his head, is hair falling in front of his eyes, but smiles. "Not happening. I like dicks, you like pus-"

"I think I got it. But you just told me, that your father is a raging homophobic man, with racist and sexist tendencies, and you want me, a biracial, sexually confused woman, to act as your girlfriend?"