19

"Where exactly is it that you are taking me, Kyle?"

Kyle doesn't verbally answers, just turns up the volume of his car radio, which is playing what seems like an awful rendition of a 50 cent song- not something you'd expect a gay dude named Kyle to be listening to-, but here we are.

"Those lyrics are gross dude."

This time, he casts a glance at me. "You're just a goodie-two-shoes. You need someone to show you that life's all about sex. Maybe your lady Diana could take you to the Candy Shop, show you her sweet-"

I interrupt his disgusting monologue with a hard punch on the shoulder. He squeals pathetically before arguing that my behaviour is dangerous as he is driving.

I shoot him a glare, and he suddenly clamps his mouth shut. "I told you not to talk about her. This ain't funny." In truth, it could have been fairly amusing, if only Diana, or Doctor, or Professor Alexander, whatever I get to call her, if only she hadn't clearly given me a second and last chance at having my weekly sessions with her. The seesions that I am used to now, and that I look forward to every day.

But the way Kyle keeps mentionning her actively prevents me from forgetting the huge misstep I took with her. The question that stays unanswered. Why did I kiss her? Because I wanted to. Simple as that.

"I swear she was avoiding my hand during the last lectures I've had with her," Kyle suddenly blurts out. "Dunno what I've done to her, except being the only one not sleeping in her classes."

I sigh heavily, feeling totally guilty of what attitude she seems to have with my best friend.

"Maybe she doesn't want you to think you're the teacher's pet or something, I try to joke."

I should tell him what happened.

Kyle grumbles but doesn't argue. I relish in the silence, pressing my forehead against the cold window. On this cold December afternoon, just after our last classes have finished, Kyle has decided to take me to an unknown location, to get my mind off things, I suppose. Or maybe because I've spent the last few days sulking, and that I haven't properly gone out for several weeks, the last time being when I first met Eva.

Eva, who I have been avoiding since I realize that I'm much more interested in my therapist than in her. Eva, who I still don't know to this day what I meant to her, and what our relationship status was. Friends with benefits? We weren't even friends. Maybe a fling. Yuk, I realize that I sound like a forty-year-old woman. What's next, an affair?

When Kyle finally parks his car, it's in front of a 1970s building with a bright yellow sign flickering. The axe planted on the wooden front door makes the hair on my skin stand to attention. This is how I'm gonna die, I think.

Kyle seems to have noticed my sudden unease as he looks over at me from the driver's side and then proceeds to explose in a fit of laughter.

"Girl relax, come on, let's go, we have an appointment."

I finally follow him across the dark carpark, into the building, and I notice that the inside is lively and full of people of all ages. They are in groups, just like in a bowling alley, with the exception that they are throwing axes at a wall.

For the next hour and a half, Kyle and I learn how to successfully throw an axe without risking anyone's life, and I find out with surprise that I'm quite good at it.

The room smells of wood and sweat, and I strangely find myself in my element. The drama of the past few months is evading my thoughts, and I feel empty, but in a good way.

***

The week passes in a blur of essays, lectures, more essays, and stressing about Saturday morning. Kyle and I don't see each other much, as he is taken with his courses, and I spend most of my time alternating between studying and looking up how to get rid of an unwanted attraction.