Better than Nothing - South Dakota x Reader

Another day in the training arena. Another training session with the usual freelancers which consisted of the Dakota twins: North and South, Washington and yourself.
It should've been easy as the objective was to capture one another's flag like a game you'd play in grade school.
Grab the flag and bail out of there, it should've been simple, yet it wasn't as South Dakota the girl you've come to fancy as she wasn't like any other woman aboard the ship.

A woman who can speak her mind without a care about the consequences which was attractive as she had more backbone than most of the other agents here combined, which lead to some troubles but nothing she couldn't handle. That also made her brave and South was strong, familiar with a gun too.

The list could go on but there wasn't time to flaunt over her as you've come to like her every time you spoke with her, exchanges laughs and advice.

But here you were in front of your crush, sounds cliché but there wasn't any other way of calling it without making other Freelancer sound like some sort of disease.

South and yourself in a stare down like you'd see in those old western movies when they are about to draw their guns yet with lockdown paint guns which were already drawn. Of course, you've already noticed North in the corner of your eye who had his sniper aimed directly at you.

With that said there wasn't anything you could do but stand there embarrassed, thinking to yourself as you Agent (S/N) were suppose to be a trained Freelancer! Yet you're standing there like a scared child, Washington was god knows where. "Don't even think about it." The female Dakota said sternly. Sounds like her favorite line, honestly.

'Oh, shit.' It's not that you were high on the leaderboard actually you were dead last, yet here you are against the twins who were a good tag team, when push came to shove you'd most likely end up in the med bay with several broken ribs or probably ten feet under. Sounds more accurate.

Actually both of you should be on your knees and licking their boots as they were on a whole different league than Washington or you when it came to teamwork and tagging in and out.

South continued to watch you closely making your heart race, it was like she was staring directly into your soul. "Hey North, I've got this. Find Wash." South spoke up and the other Dakota twin just hesitated before agreeing, knowing full aware on who'd win one on one. "Alright, Stay safe kiddo." North quickly made a swift exit with his sniper rifle strapped onto his back.

Once North was finally out of sight, you could just feel South's smirk. "So (S/N), you think you're ready?" Swallowing harshly before responding with "Ready for what exactly?" "To get your ass kicked. Obviously (S/N)." South added and you could just hear the grin in her voice. She was enjoying this way too much, it was kind of scary.

It wasn't a surprise when the Dakota made the first move by spinning her whole body to kick you with full force, but with some luck and reflex you've managed to grab her ankle but instead of following it up with some counter attack like a normal person would, you just held onto her ankle and she quickly recoiled by yanking her leg back which caused the both of you to stumble.

Losing balance which resulted with you falling on top of the other Freelancer, of course South quickly reacted by kicking you off of her than jumping on top of you before throwing a few punches and you not-so-skillfully blocked.

The sound of paint going off in the distance could only be assumed that North managed to find Wash elsewhere in the arena, but both South and you continued to fight amongst yourselves. Having one change to impress her, beat her and get the flag which you could've easily (not) have pulled off. But in the end, you didn't.

At least you've gotten the chance to talk to her, huh.

"You're not too shabby, (S/N)."