All These Years

A/N: Apparently I'm a sucker for Royal AUs so here's another one. This is based in around the 19th century.

Prepare for 8201 words of a slow burn.

________________________________

Camila Cabello refrained from uttering a frustrated sigh as yet another person came up to ask her the big question of the day, 'Are the rumours true? Will the prince be asking you for your hand in marriage?" The blonde woman beamed at her, with a hint of envy flashing in her eyes.

This had been the regular occurrence ever since the rumours first started stirring two days prior and every time, Camila would grin politely and discreetly reply in an attempt to pry them away from her. "I wouldn't know, I heard the same time you did." The person would then smile back and place a hand on her shoulder, giving her an insistent look, "Well, keep me in mind." Camila would give a quick nod before walking away.

Why would she keep in mind the very people who had ridiculed her over the years but now because of a rumour everyone loved her? Good for them, she thought but either way, she wouldn't be changing her tune about them any time soon.

She didn't even believe the rumours, sure once she'd been close with the Prince but that had been a long time ago when they had no obligations and were mere children. Now they were estranged and one of them was about to inherit a whole kingdom.

Softly smiling to the baker as she handed over the money in exchange for the loaf of bread, Camila pulled her hood up in a last-ditch attempt to avoid any more awkward confrontations with her fellow townspeople as she made her way home.

Despite this, everyone's gaze seemed to be fixed on her as she wandered through the town and she couldn't help but overhears their murmurs as they declared that she didn't deserve the Prince's affections and they would give anything to take her place. And I'd do anything to give it to you. She bitterly thought as her little cottage came into view and her pace quickly hastened.

As she stepped onto her doorstep she couldn't help the uneasy feeling that crept up on her. She gently opened the door, hearing the familiar creak calling out, "Mama! I've got the bread!" as she made her way over to the living room, expecting to find her mother in her usual seat, gently resting before she would make the daily journey to the palace for her job.

Instead, she found the royal family seated around the room, the Prince and Princess sitting on the kitchen chairs as the King and Queen were seated on the couch. The family of four looked awkward in such a scene and yet they did not show any sign of discomfort, in fact as she stepped into the room, she could've sworn she saw the Queen's eyes brighten. But she could always be making it up.

She looked over to her mother, who had a bright beaming smile on her face as she stared proudly on at her daughter, making Camila want to crumple into a ball and never come out again. This was the woman who had given her everything, had cared for her, had made the long journey to the palace daily to provide for her and Camila had wanted to make Sinu proud in so many ways, but none of them included what she knew was coming.

She turned back towards the man she had once known as an innocent, wide-eyed, little boy with some of the most outlandish dreams in the world. Now, he stood tall as he confidently rose from his seat and stepped towards her, the nerves tingling in Camila as the moment she'd been dreading arrived.

His face had matured and he had filled out his body with some incredible muscles, but as she looked into his eyes, he almost seemed cold, moulded into the perfect prince, soon to be king that everyone expected and it made her heart drop a little bit.

He bent down on one knee, holding up a small box to her and popped it open. Tears began to prick at her eyes as she realised that the moment had arrived and she stared into the eyes of the curly-haired brunette. "Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao," he took a breath, glancing away from her for a moment before staring straight back in her eyes. "Will you do me the honour of making me the luckiest man on earth and let me have your hand in marriage?"