8

"It’s okay. I wasn’t waiting long.”

“Not that wait.”

I stare at him, trying to decode his cryptic reply. All I can come up with is an “okay” that’s so soft spoken that it’s barely audible.

I step out into the hallway and I feel like reality slaps me right back in the face. It’s like I was in a dream in there just now.

I turn to make sure this really just happened, just in time to see him slowly shutting the door…and checking out my ass.

I want to tell him he stole my move, but what I really want to tell him is that he stole my heart.

And I never want him to give it back. It’s his and only his.

CHAPTER 6

Delaney

I move to the lobby and take a seat, my mind still racing from what just happened.

In some ways I still feel like I’m falling and sitting back down right now is definitely the right move.

Donovan’s assistants seem to be very busy, moving rapidly in and out of different rooms and checking in animals. I was impressed by the efficiency of the businessthat he seems to be running. At least he definitely seems to be the most authoritative person in here.

The front door swings open and a cop enters with his German Shepherd. He surveys the room and I don’t make eye contact, praying he’s not going to sit in one of the empty seats by me when there’s a whole other row available along a different wall. I love animals, but that German Shepherd looks a bit threatening. I’m sure it’s trained well, it is a cop’s dog after all, but the guy is already kind of posturing and trying to alpha the entire place. His walkie-talkie thingy is going off, he’s talking into his smartwatch like he’s a big shot.

And sure enough he shoots right over to the chair next to me and proceeds to manspread, his knee applying pressure to my leg.

I wiggle indiscreetly in my seat, trying to get the pressure off me and away from this police officer. He’s a big guy so maybe he doesn’t realize how much it affects a smaller woman like me.

But as I move he only spreads more. Give him an additional inch and he gobbles up another mile.

His eyes move toward me, sensing my movement as I try and pull away more. Now I’m half off my chair, hoping he’s going to pick up the hint.

But instead it seems he only wants to pick me up.

His eyes roam over and land right on my breasts. Lovely.

I grab the back of my shirt and pull it forward, trying to cover myself as much as I can so he’ll hopefully pick up on what’s now my second hint that I’m not interested in anything he has to offer, and also so my skin will stop crawling from this guy. I definitely appreciate the men and women of this country who serve, whether they be military, police, firefighters, first responders…you name it. But I can’t say I appreciate cocky men who look at me like a piece of meat.

Except Donovan, because he looks at me as not only a piece of meat that he wants to devour but also as so much more. Plus he knows me and I know him. It’s only today that his attraction first became apparent. Heck, I’m still shaking from the experience.

“Hey,” the cop says, giving me a smirk as if he’s doing me some sort of favor by talking to me.

“Good morning, officer.”

“Where’s your pet?”

“They’re in with the vet. He’s my friend and he’s taking care of them.”

“That so?”

My eyes close slowly as I breathe in and breathe out. I face back forward and my toe starts to tap nervously and audibly.

“Looks like you’re nervous about how things are going to turn out. This vet guy know what he’s doing?”

I grit my teeth wanting to tell this guy off but apparently he’s got an ego and a power complex to go with it. Who knows what he’s capable of.

“He’s the best.” I keep my eyes trained forward.

“I hear he’s all right.”

A protective streak of my own rips through me and now I really want to tell this guy off. Bad.

He leans in closer, his knee pressing into me as he cups his hand to my ear. “But you know who gets the best service at every restaurant in town?” His breath smells acidic, like he’s already downed a pot of black coffee and hasn’t considered a ninety-nine cent pack of gum to mask it. Is this some technique to intimidate criminals? “This guy.” His free hand comes up and points right to his chest.

I feel his little finger make contact with the skin around my ear and I cringe, but just as quickly as it does it disappears, replaced with a loud sound.

1.1k thank you so much readers ❤