15

Donovan

My back is against the door to the dressing room at the jazz club where I’ve brought Delaney.  She doesn’t even know what kind of club we’re at yet.  All she knows is that we slipped in the back door, thanks to the owner having brought in his wife’s poodle last week.  Now’s she’s changing in a dressing room fit for a star, which is exactly what she is.

My fingers tap the door in rapid succession as I itch to see her when she steps out in that dress I picked up for her.

She’s gonna look absolutely incredible in it.  Then again she could cut a hole in a potato sack, toss it up over her head, and make it look like a billion bucks.

A few staff walk by on their way back and forth doing things.  A couple give me curious looks, but they know better than to ask to enter this room behind me.  No one’s getting past me, and thanks to the fact that there’s a separate dressing room for the male talent, Mr. Wynton Marsalis, the jazz performer for tonight, can continue sprucing up until he comes on as the main act.

I can’t wait to show her off front row.  I’m not one to whisper and gossip, but I heard a rumor that he’s filming a special tonight.  If that’s the case then the DVD will be released in about six months or so I’d guess.  With Delaney and I in the front row our date will be commemorated forever on one of the top jazz musician in the world’s DVD.

Good.  I want as many people in the world to know right away who she belongs to.  I want to know that men from all over the world see her on my arm, holding onto my arm, claiming me just as I claimed her.

And I’m not a spiteful person, but I want other woman to see her and know how good she’s got it.  I want them to see how I treat my queen, but not to make them feel bad…to let them know that their men need to treat them just the same way, although technically I plan on spoiling my woman more than any man in the history of the world so if any other man tries to keep up with me he’ll quickly find out it’s a losing battle.

Damn I can’t wait to show her off.

I feel the handle turn and I spin around, pressing my palms against the door so she can’t open it.

“Are you trapping me inside now?”  I can hear her giggle like a happy little girl and it makes me so damn proud to be able to make her feel that way…and so damn hard to contain what’s trying its hardest to get out of my pants and into her.

“And now,” I say, pretending to be an announcer, “the one you all came to see.  The one.  The only,” I swing the door open for her, “Dela—”

I freeze.  Every part of me.

I can’t even finish the words because this woman has literally just taken my breath away.

I try to mouth the word “you” to tell her that she looks amazing, but my jaw is too far down on the floor to move.

“How do you like it?”

My heart rate spikes and I want to grab her and push our way back inside the door, locking it and taking her right here and now.  I want to make a different kind of music of our own in this very instant.

“Perfect,” I finally growl as she spins.

I reach out my hand and take her tiny fingers in mine, spinning her into a pirouette.

The dress is form fitting so it doesn’t move, but damn does she.  She’s got moves all right, moves I haven’t even seen.

But I will later.  I’m going to see everything…all of her.

And tonight’s the night.