9

I jerk away, jumping out of my seat as my primal brain kicks in. I face the danger, squatting and putting up my fists.

“Why are you harassing women in my lobby, son?”

Donovan has his hand around this man’s throat and his back is pinned to his chair which is pinned against the wall.

“Molly!” the man gurgles, but the German Shepherd sits obediently.

“Answer the question, boy,” Donovan commands. His eyes are locked on this cop who won’t return eye contact. His eyes are beady and they eventually land on mine as if he’s looking at me for help now. “Call 911,” he sort of mouths in a very low tone, Donovan’s grip turning his face red.

“Be a man and answer for yourself you impersonator.”

The sound of one of the assistantsdropping her wooden clipboard onto the tile floor echoes throughout the lobby, but Donovan stays locked in on his target.

I watch his thumb and first finger loosen just a bit, allowing the man to speak.

“I’m an officer of the law and you’re going to be arrested for assaulting an officer if you don’t take your hands off me.”

“You think I can’t tell a real police uniform from this rip off you bought from some uniform shop on the Internet? You think you’re Robocop but you’re nothing more than Paul Blart, mall cop, and if you don’t give me an answer quick I’m going to choke you until you check out for a little nap.

Donovan sounds like an animal. His lips aren’t even moving as he growls the words through a stiff jaw and clenched teeth.

“Okay. Okay. I’m sorry. I didn’t know she was yours,” he stutters as he continues to avoid eye contact.

He didn’t know I was Donovan’s? His?

I backpedal, wondering just how far Donovan’s going to take this. Now that he apologized I want to step in and tell him everything’s okay, but this is Donovan’s place and he can make his own decisions. He’s a grown man after all, and that, and this protective streak which is very much on display right now, are what I love about him.

“Now to her?”

“Huh?”

“Apologize to her, you prick.” Donovan’s voice is vibrating.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For…for…talking to her.”

“You weren’t talking to her. You were bothering her…and you touched her.”

“I didn’t touch her.”

Donovan’s grip tightens again. “You calling me a liar?”

“No,” gurgles out.

“Your little finger made contact with her skin and if there weren’t women present I’d rip it off your hand right now and feed it to Molly…who seems to respond to my commands better than yours by the way.”

I look down and notice Molly is chomping the last of a dog biscuit as Donovan strokes her lovely coat with his free hand.

“Now apologize to her or I’ll sic your own animal on you.”

“I’m sorry for touching you,” he says as Donovan loosens his grip.

This guys eyes are bulging.

“Look her in the eye when you say it. And say it with meaning.”

The man does as he’s told only to get morecommands from Donovan.

“And you’re not going to do it again.”

“No.”

“Tell her!”

“I’ll never touch you again. I promise.”

Donovan’s hand pulls back and the man’s torso bends forward, his elbows finding his knees as he rubs his neck and gasps for air. From his position his shoulders are pointed at a forty-five degree angle and Donovan uses the opportunity to grab each of the epaulets of his uniform and rip them off.

“What’s wrong with Molly?”

“Her knees.”

“Stand outside and someone will bring her out when she’s cared for. I may not like you one damn bit, but I never turn my back on an animal.”

“Can I get a glass of water?”

“Out!”

The man slides forward, waddling to the door as his back never straightens. Even as the door shuts behind him I can hear him wheezing.

“You didn’t have to do all that.”

“I did.”

“You took it pretty far.”

“I have to let people know if they give you any troubles it’s the same as them trying to come at me, and I’ll deal with them accordingly.”

“Thank you for standing up for me.”

“Always. I have to protect what’s mine.”

“Yours?”

Donovan’s glare locks on me. “You heard what he said, that you’re mine.”

I don’t move.

“That’s the only true thing that came out of his mouth.”

My chest tightened. I felt like my heart had stopped despite it slamming against my ribcage.

“Doctor, we need you back in the delivery room,” the assistant says as she reaches down and picks up her clipboard.

Donovan doesn’t turn to acknowledge her, his gaze on me unflinching.

“That kid’s a troublemaker. I know who he is. He needed to be put in his place, I’m just sorry you had to see it.” He pauses. “But I’m not sorry about what I said. Not now. Not ever. It’s the damn truth. You’re mine.”

Donovan’s body turns as he goes to walk toward the delivery room, but he doesn’t even look where he’s going. His eyes stay locked on me until he turns to enter and then his gaze, his body, everything is gone