22

Delaney

I move to the window, staring out into the night wondering where my man is, but not wondering too hard…because I know.

I know my dad goes to the park to shoot baskets sometimes when he can’t think straight, and I know Donovan does the same.

That’s where he is now.  The second I felt his warmth leave the bed I knew that’s where he was headed.  Little Spoon knows her Big Spoon.  We haven’t been together long, but when he’s not there in bed with me I feel it instantly, even if he just gets up to get a glass of water or go to the restroom.

I know.

And as he pulls back up to the house I know where he’s been.

“Hey,” I say softly as he walks into the house.

“Hey,” he says, coming to me and wrapping his arms around me.  He smells like the fresh night air and even though his clothes are a bit chilly it feels good, like the other side of the pillow.  “I woke you when I left, huh?”

“Always.  I need you in bed with me.”

He looks down at me, putting a small amount of space between our bodies so he can better see me.

“And I need you forever.”

He drops to one knee and opens his big hand.  Where he’s cupping a tiny, black, felt box that is now perfectly placed in the center of his palm, which allows him to carefully flip back the lid.

It may be dark inside and out, but the moonlight flickers through the window, reflecting off the gigantic rock in the box.

A diamond for me.

And a diamond is forever.

“Yes!” I say.

“But I haven’t asked you yet.  I have to—“

I reach down and grab his face, pulling him up to me and kissing him hard.

“You don’t have to ask.  You always had me.  I just want to be yours as soon as possible.  Let’s not wait another second.”

“I like the sound of that.”  He slides the ring on my finger.  A perfect fit.

Suddenly he sweeps me off my feet and carries me into the bedroom…our bedroom, where I’ll never have to miss him again.

I know where he went and I know he did it for me.  He tried and that’s more than I can ask.

And now we’re going to try our best to make a baby as soon as possible, although something inside me says that I’m already well on my way.

Call it a hunch.  Call it intuition.  Call it two perfect for each other people coming together, forever.

“I love you,” he says.

“I love you.”