Extended Epilogue

Donovan

Ten years later

“Right this way, kids,” Daisy’s teacher says as she leads her class into my clinic.

“Puppies!” a few of the kids yell as they point to the little Samoyeds I have with me today.  They’re actually ours, seems Larry took a liking to the neighbor’s dog and wasn’t about to allow a fence to stop him from getting his woman.

The crazy thing was that they had Samoyeds too.  Apparently they’d seen ours and wanted the same.  That idea was cool with me, even though Delaney says I’m the world’s most possessive and protective man.

She’s right when it comes to my family.

I put up a fence just so our seven children can play peacefully in our backyard and our dogs can run free without chains and collars.  “Organic” as our joke goes from back when Dustin was conceived.

But it’s true.  I like keeping our family as free and as happy as possible, and as Daisy’s kindergarten classmates all file in for their field day I see that she’s the happiest one in the bunch.

Her face swells with pride as she runs over and wraps her arms around my waist.  “Thanks, dad.”

“Anytime and always,” I reply as I rub the top of her head before reaching down and giving her a big kiss.

“Mr. Decker is our veterinarian, kids.  I think we should let him speak.”

I nod to the teacher and tap my desk a few times, watching as the kids stare with rapt attention.

“Hey kids,” I hear, knowing Delaney is standing just behind me as me tapping my desk was the cue we’d discussed last night.

“Who wants to see…some kittens!”

A storm of little girls shrieks like it’s a boy band concert as they all move forward and the boys drop back.

“Don’t worry guys.  We have a wolf cub outside for you.”

“A wolf cub?  Yes!” one of the boys says as he pumps his fist.

I grab the boys and Delaney keeps the girls as we split the class in two and their field trip begins.

I’m glad I have this day to kind of practice on these boys and see which animals they respond to best.  Tomorrow my ten-year-old son’s class will come through for a similar presentation.

Being able to work so closely with the school to teach the kids about animals is really a blessing, and I’ve had many in my life since Delaney and I became one.

My family will always be my biggest blessing, no doubt about it.  But with the clinic we’ve been able to expand and do a lot of community outreach, placing animals with senior citizens, troubled youth, and a whole host of other people who could really benefit from the love a pet brings.  Heck, we all can can’t we?

And having seven children at home means we have a lot more animals in the house too.  I joke with Doug that we’re running a zoo, to which Delaney asks if the kids are the bigger wild beasts or the pets we have.

It’s true.  Our house is a rowdy free for all at times when it comes to having fun, but we always get together each night for dinner and then again for breakfast.  The kids are quickly carving out their own niches in life but something about always sitting down to eat our meals together really keeps our family element and our support group thriving.

And the reason our family thrives is because of her.

My beautiful Delaney packs the lunches each day, she helps out more than she could ever know at the clinic, and she’s instrumental when it comes to getting the kids to all their events, meets, practices, recitals, and everything else they’re involved in.  The woman’s calendar is like the world’s thickest rainbow, if that makes sense.  Each of our children gets a color and she manages all seven of them fluidly and effortlessly.

I don’t know how she does it, or how I’d ever survived a day in my life without her.

The woman is amazing, and the best part of all…is that she’s mine.

“Mr. Donovan, is it really possible for a man to turn into a wolf?” one of the boys asks.

I can’t hold back a smile thinking about how I howled at the moon last night as I filled my woman with my seed.  Something primal flips inside me whenever I do.  I have to mate with her constantly.  That beautiful body of hers was made to carry our children and I can’t stop giving them to her, to us.

“I don’t know, buddy.  What do you think?”

“Sometimes on TV there are shows where they can.”

“I don’t believe it,” another of the boys yells.

“Well, let’s ask Wolfman Jack,” I say, our little wolf cub at the clinic a tribute to the famous radio DJ from years gone by.

“Whoa!” a few of the boys say when they see him.

“So his name is Wolfman Jack?”

“Yep.”

“So he is half wolf half man?”

“Maybe so.”

The boys line up to pet Wolfman Jack and I step back, watching how much he loves it and how much the boys love him.

But I love my transformations into a wolf the most…the ones she brings out in me.

Delaney loves reading short romance novellas and she told me about some shifter romances she was reading and what those were all about.

Are they just escapism fiction or are they real?

If you would have asked me before her I would have laughed.

But she reminded me that deep down inside I truly am a possessive, protective, territorial animal.

It’s just that it never came out until I had my mate and my “cubs.”

Maybe there’s a reason I became a vet in the first place.  It was Destiny…wait, that’s the name of our youngest daughter.

I just shake my head.  Life is too perfect and all of this is too ironic not to be the universe reminding me of my true calling…

Dad, best friend to their grandpa, and most importantly husband…to the most amazing woman to ever walk the face of the earth, or any planet for that matter.

She’s out of this world, and I’m over the moon for her.

And tonight this vet is gonna howl at the full moon when we breed, because no matter how many little “pups” we have, it’s never enough.

Not when it comes to her.  I love her more than anything and I always want more…kids, laughter, and a house we share with our animal friends.

We’re all animals at the end of the day, and I can’t wait to turn into my most primal form tonight when it’s just the two of us together, which is exactly what we’re going to be forever…together.

My woman.  My life.  My everything.

My love.