10

But this moment, his words, will stay with me forever.

His.

He said I was his.

Donovan

Fuck that little shit who thought he could disrespect my woman. Yeah he may not be little anymore. He’s damn near my size now and fifteen years younger, but nothing can stop me when it comes to sticking up for my woman.

I hated that she had to be there to see it. Hell, she probably thought it was some sort of pissing contest between the two of us at first, but I know human nature just as well as I know the nature of animals. We are animals after all. You set an example early and then any other little punk that thinks they might want to make a move on my woman will reconsider, real fucking quick.

I was glad that one of my assistants forgot one of the shots for her dogs. That gave me the convenient excuse to go into the lobby and get another glimpse of Delaney again.

Hell she’d only been out of my sight a minute or two and I was already needing to see her face again.

What I didn’t need to see was that prick talking to her. It sent me into an instant rage when I saw her recoil at the touch of his finger. You know that old saying, don’t lay a finger on me? Well it’s true. All it took was the far side of his small finger and I had to make him answer for his actions.

The little punk has a juvenile record longer than a child daycare service’s grocery bill. He only got a job as a mall cop because of his dad. Well I don’t give a damn what his bloodline is, or how much cash his family has to bail him out of trouble. When he comes around my woman sniffing for trouble he’s gonna get exactly that.

But I don’t have to worry about him anymore.

What I do need to worry about is that low cut top that Delaney had on today.

I tap my pen against the desk where I do my end of the day paperwork before putting it in my mouth and biting down hard on it. She was showing too much…way too much.

That body is mine now and as much as I want her to feel free as a bird, I want her more covered up out in public.

In our home? Naked twenty-four seven. I want my eyes to feast on every curve all the time when we’re alone behind closed doors.

And speaking of that I need to go over to this place she’s staying at and see how sturdy the doors, the locks, the windows…all that stuff is.

I take the pen from my mouth and tap it against my skull.

Damn, this is wrong on so many levels.

She’s trying to prove to her father that she can make it alone, as an adult. I need to prove to her, and soon to him, that what I feel for her is real.

I should stay away. I should strengthen my resolve. But now I’ve turned into the cliché that I tell my pet’s owners sometimes when I attempt to rationalize irrational animal, or human, behavior. “The heart wants what the heart wants.”

And I’ve wanted Delaney for four years now. No other woman even came close to comparing to her. No one else even aroused the faintest of interest from me.

This internal roller coaster I’d been on is only going to give me an ulcer. This up and down like a teeter-totter in my mind is driving me crazy. Trying to tell myself she’s my best friend’s daughter and that I should back off just isn’t cutting it anymore.

I’d already wasted four long years. We could have two kids by now. Two!

It was time to make it known to her, and soon to everyone, that this wasn’t just some sort of puppy love, some sort of crush, some passing desire.

This is real, and I’ll show the world when I put a ring on her finger. Hell, I’d do it today if I didn’t have to do a balancing act figuring out how I’m going to break this to her father.

No matter what, she will be my wife. She will be the mother to my children. She will be my everything.

Hell, she already is.

I’m ready to risk it all. I’m not getting any younger and it’s time to make some young’uns with her once and for all.

Although my words were crystal clear earlier they probably left Delaney feeling confused. I don’t want any ambiguity in her mind when it comes to us.

I drop what I’m doing and grab her paperwork from my desk, looking at the address one more time as if I didn’t memorize it the very first time I saw it.

I stand quickly, my chair sliding backwards and slamming into the wall as I march to the front door.