Chapter 1

I wiped the little beads of perspiration from my upper lip with the back of my hand. The place was getting more crowded and uncomfortable by the second. The music changed to another one of cheesy slow songs, which according to these people was "good music" and I groaned. Listening to them for the past two hours, I was close enough to have my head explode. If it wasn't the music contributing to the pounding in my head, it was the loud chattering, murmurings and laughing of these people around me. I took another sip of my cranberry juice and sighed. Half of it was already gone and I didn't have the money to buy another one. Everything here was so expensive and I had only the money of a stay of one day. If I wasn't successful today, then I might not get another chance anytime soon.

I looked around at the dim lighted room for the third time in the past ten minutes. Where was he? He has been in there for forever! The VIP area was more protected by big bulky guards in their "men in black" suits then the rest of the casino. No surprise there since their underboss was inside. According to Tampa Police Department, it was shocking for the underboss to be inspecting and assessing the on goings of one of the casinos the mafia owned. Lane said that the surveillance was mostly done by the guards and the people who work for them, or otherwise it is the duty of the manager to report to the owner. So when Lane told me that he was going to be here tonight, I thought it to be an ideal opportunity to initiate my plans.

I had even picked the most perfect red dress for this specific moment. It was neither too provocative nor too concealing. Just short till my mid-thigh and sleeveless. When I had looked in the mirror before leaving my room which I had booked for just a single day in this casino plus hotel, just for the purpose of meeting the underboss for the first time, I thought I had looked decent enough. The cleavage was the right amount, appropriate for seduction, I think it was! My red hair and ivory skin complemented the dress I wore and all my pampering and beautifying myself will be in vain if he didn't come out of the VIP lounge.

"Hey pretty lady; want me to buy you a drink?"  A man with vile features, short height and rusty teeth settled on the seat next to me at the bar while grinning from ear to ear. He reeked of alcohol and there was certain madness in his eyes that triggered the warning bells in my head. Seriously what kind of people do they allow in here? Of course criminals and offenders!

I immediately began shaking my head. "No thanks. Now go away." I began to drink the rest of my juice, ignoring him.

"Come on doll! Don't be like that." He inched closer to my face. His foul breaths making me avert my face away. "I think a woman like you needs something bigger and stronger." The double meaning of his words was not lost to me.

"And I think you need to leave me alone!" I said sharply. A few heads turned to our direction, including the bartender's but none came forward to help. Why would they help a young woman in need over a criminal, after all this entire casino was run by criminals!

"Don't be difficult! I can give you a great time." He began running his fingers up my arm when a small amount of panic hit me and I instantly got up from my seat, taking a few steps away from him.

"Touch me again and I'll scream!" I tried to threaten him, but of course my threat was going to be futile. My empty threat was not going to scare him. He seemed like a dangerous man.

He laughed at the tiny amount of fear he saw beyond my façade of determination. Men like him were used to women resisting him but in the end, they still get what they want by making those women their prey. That is how they became criminals. "I think I am going to like making you scream for me." He took a step towards me.

"Take another step and I..." my words halted when I saw his face morph into an expression of fear. He literally began trembling and took a few steps back. I felt a moment of pride in myself, until I realized he was staring at something behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I felt a strong presence behind me. I resisted the urge to shiver and closed my eyes. Something settled deep in my stomach as I felt tingles spreading all over my body.