4. Party Tattoos

Party Tattoos by Dodie Clark

Write a postcard to you at eighty-four

Tell them you'd never dream of living behind the door

Life was fun, full of love, full of hopeful smiles

Bet you wish you were here

But I'll see you in a while

Ashlye

How many days has it been since Kay left me?

One day,two days...seven days already, a week.

And we're not bruised, they're just party tattoos

And that colourful mess is just colourful regret

Kay...I-

"Ashlye! We're going! Don't stay up too late." With that, Mum just leaves. I guess she will be gone for a while, she just got promoted and is working until later and later. It's the same with Dad. He goes overseas often, with some stupid conference now and then. Kay was my only companion when they were gone. But now, she's not here too.

Mum knows I'm going through a hard time, why is she still leaving just like that? But I can't blame her, she's trying to support this family and I'm just doing nothing. If only Kay was here. . .

Kayla. . . Lying on my bed, I stare at the open window above, the stars lighting up the night, diamonds unwavering, their light shining. They'll shine on for a longer time, unlike, well, her. We used to do this together, just her and me, staring into the seemingly endless sky, thinking foolishly, innocently, that this could last forever. We never thought about the end, just the two of us, together.

Remember when it was just the two of us against the world?

At least I wasn't alone.

I swear I will find you again, Kay.

The stars glow as if hearing my wish as I plunge into the warm embrace of sleep. Maybe in my dreams I'll see her again. Maybe.

Kay. I loved you so much and still do, even if we're not supposed to. Come back.

Please.

My mummy said to always wear a coat

But it's warm and it's heavy and we're trying to float

Don't forget she'll be right when it's three a.m.

So shiver, but shiver with a friend

Come back. Come back for this friend you left behind.

Come back for me.

-----

I wake up to the sound of shouts below.

No. You can't tell her that!

She deserves to know!

Do what you want. This is on you.

Mum and Dad arguing? That's rare. I get dressed and go down.

What's wrong?

Uh, Ash...

Dad looks worried.

What's wrong? Tell me.

Well you see...we...We're moving in a month...

Wh...what?

This...this is a joke, right?

I promised I'd wait for her. I promised!

No! I cry out.

But nobody hears me. They don't understand, Kay disappeared. Now we're moving. They don't understand! I promised. I promised I'd wait forever for her. What if she comes to find me? What if I can never see her again? What if-if......

Get ready and start packing. I wish we didn't have to move, but-well.

What about Kay?

Dad looks at me sadly. Face it, Ashlye. She's is never coming back. She's gone.

No. She promised. She promised she would never leave me behind. And Kay's not a person who breaks promises, not like that. She has her reasons for leaving. I'm sure......

Would you have left anything you loved in a place you couldn't bear to be in anymore?