15. On My Way

On My Way by Alan Walker

I'm sorry but

Don't wanna talk, I need a moment before I go

It's nothing personal

I draw the blinds

They don't need to see me cry

'Cause even if they understand

They don't understand

Kayla

Fayth walks into the room. My uncle's fine with you here, isn't that great?

I look at her carefully, studying her facial expressions. Then-

You know, Fayth, you don't have to-you don't have to do so much for me, you know. It's-it's okay. You don't need to care about me.

She looks hurt. It's been great having you here, Kayla, it's fine!

I don't know, though. I'm really suspicious, because she's probably hiding something from me, but I don't know what it is. Over the last few weeks, I've gotten better at reading people's expressions. Much better. Fayth is good at hiding her feelings, but I can tell something was amiss. She isn't telling me something, something she really did not want me to find out.

okay... but you still haven't told me why you and your brother...well...what happened to your parents.

She drops her head in her hands.

Please, please no. don't bring it up. I don't want to think about it.

The way the light in her eyes extinguishes immediately, I know I've broken her heart again.

I'm-I'm sorry, Fayth. I didn't mean to upset you... I lift my arms to try to comfort her.

Even as I say that, I can feel how empty,how meaningless my words sounded, even to myself. My arms dropped to my sides as I stared hopelessly at the broken girl in front of me. The girl that mirrored my pain, my loneliness, my burden. The girl that for some unknown reason, I had slowly opened myself up to, almost as much as I did to Ashlye.

Ash would have understood if I hadn't walked out of her life, too scared to confront what I had done to myself. To my family. Ash would have done a much better job at comforting Fayth if she was here. Except she isn't. And I know she won't be here for me anymore because I let go of her.