9. Without You

Without You by Avicii

You said that we would always be

Without you I feel lost at sea

Through the darkness you'd hide with me

Like the wind we'd be wild and free

Ashlye

The blackness of night has wrapped around the city like a cloak.

Mum's at work. Dad's overseas. This is my chanz.

I put on a coat and run out. The ice cold October wind blows against my face, both refreshing and stinging. The city lights flash on as I walk down the path. The leaves crunch beneath my sneakers. I slip behind houses and into the forest like a shadow. Nature, it was one other thing that could take me away from reality, away from all my problems. I walk in deeper, breathing in the humid air smelling like leaves. Soon I come to a clearing. I walk to the middle of the clearing, just sitting there and lying down on the dirt ground.

I can see the stars. Kayla, do you see them too?

I shut my eyes, listening to the world around me. Far away from the shadows of my mind and sounds of the city. I listen to the sounds of nature, falling into its embrace. Fond memories of Kayla come flooding back, and I felt my eyes becoming moist.

Crunch.

I sit up as quickly as possible, looking at the direction of the sound.

Who's there?

Silence.

Answer me.

A boy steps out from the shadows.

Why are you here?

Why should I answer this stranger?

I should be asking you that.

No one has ever been here before. How did you get here?

Not your problem.

Hold on. He looks familiar...

Ah. You're that kid who sits at the back of the class that everyone says not to talk to.

Oh, wow, thanks for that introduction.

It took me a second to realise what I just told him. I cover my mouth almost instinctively.

He frowns. That's right. I'm Asher. Stay away from me. If you're smart, you'll do that.

I look carefully at him. You aren't serious.

So what if I am?

Sometimes I wish I was more like Kayla. Able to tell how a person feels.

Then the boy sucks in a breath. He tilts his head to one side, staring at something above my head, pursing his lips. Then his expression changes entirely.

Oh.

It takes him a moment to choose his words before he speaks again.

You'll-you'll find Kayla again one day, I promise.