5. Leave You Behind

Leave you behind by Ron Pope

But where am I going?

And who will I see?

Why am I leaving?

It's hard to believe

That I'm searching for answers

Am I wasting my time?

I wonder where am I going

When I leave you behind?

Ashlye

It's been a month. I take one glance at the house one last time. Will the plan work? I know that the plan is imperfect but it is the only choice. I hope you will see what I left behind for you, Kay.

The car pulls out of the driveway, forcing me to leave it all behind.I fiddle with the other half of the necklace. A pink half-heart.

I don't understand why this has to happen. Why we had to leave at the most crucial time, why they can still be so cheerful. They said they cared about her.

Lies.

All of it.

They never loved her...

Or me.

Moving there will be great!

How can Dad still smile when we are leaving it all behind? When we're leaving Kay behind?

Don't frown, Ash. You should be happy that we are getting a bigger house, a nicer garden and so many more privileges than before.

But without Kay, it's meaningless. Dad will still be out and overseas for his rubbish conferences and Mum, who recently applied for her company's approval for her transfer to their company over at that place we are going, will probably work all day long and come home late all the time. But obviously, Dad wouldn't consider this a valid reason and I don't have the heart to say it. I'm not heartless like him and Mum, who has this huge fake smile plastered on her face about the new house and everything.

Of course, I'm happy. I'll just miss everything here. Half the truth.

I stay expressionless throughout the ride. I give one last look towards my hometown, the place where I cultivated memories of my life. A sudden pang of guilt and pain towards leaving Kay runs through me. Whispering as I look out of the window to her, but yelling in my mind. Words I know that have no effect other than making myself feel better.

I'm so, so sorry, Kay. I'm leaving you behind.

And I hope that somewhere out there, wherever she is, she can hear me.