a gardener's flower . oikawa tooru

WORD COUNT/ 550
NOTES/ i miss haikyuu :://

you sat like a child in the tub, legs crossed and arms swaying around in the water to create small waves to move around the floating objects. only 4 yellow rubber ducks swam on the surface, wandering in directions your manual waves seemed to take them. as you sat, your back faced towards oikawa who was seated on a little stool outside the tub, the brunet gently massaged shampoo into your roots. his fingers were delicate against your scalp, almost as if he was scared of even leaving the smallest scratch on the surface of your body. he rubbed circles that he could with the tips of his fingers, lathering your (fav scent) shampoo into your hair.

"your head feels like a volleyball," he said, breaking the small silence within the bathroom you two shared, "but not as hollow." he chuckled.

"i hope that doesn't bring about an urge to spike my head," you mumbled, nose scrunching slightly, "i'll probably die... bleed out in my potentially cracked skull... a literal kill."

he laughed. "i'd never~" he reassured you loosely, finding amusement in your choice of response. it was witty, somewhat disturbing, but overall light. it was a simple joke and he adored that you could play along instead of taking things the wrong way. "you're as delicate as a flower, hun. i'd probably lock you up in a case to keep you safe."

before you could give out a response, however, oikawa poured warm water over your head, the shine in your hair returning as the lather of shampoo disappeared into the rest of the water you were seated in.

you scoffed through the water, furrowing your brows at his actions.

he did so once more, one hand pouring and the other pushing your hair back to ensure that nothing was left between the (colour) strands. starting from your forehead and to the top back of your head and then with his fingers down to the very ends of your hair. he made sure to rinse your face as well so that you would be able to open your eyes, his fingers never applying too much pressure against your skin.

"anyway," you mumbled as soon as his hand passed your mouth and cupped your chin, "i don't think i'd like to be cased up if i were a flower. i'd rather grow in a garden. with other flowers."

oikawa smiled, shook his head, and leaned back to grab the conditioner for your hair. "and what if a rabbit eats you?" he squeezed out about the size of an oreo onto his left palm before closing the bottle and setting it down with his right hand. "or maybe the weeds kill you?" he rubbed the substance between his hands to spread it then began working at your hair, once again massaging your scalp gently. he worked his way down to your roots to ensure the conditioner made it to all of your hair.

"well," you mumbled, "if you love me so much, i wouldn't worry. you as the gardener will keep me safe and healthy."

his smile grew, your words making him feel some sort of way — tingly and somewhat proud. "so if you were a flower right now, how would you be?"

you smiled, leaning back against his touch. "alive."