a way to soothe anxiety . azumane asahi

WORD COUNT/ 790
NOTES/ inspired by

arrinxx asahi smells like baked goods/pastries since he bakes alOT to calm down his internal ramblings or just to calm down in general sjsj❞

if you didn’t know better, you’d assume asahi lived in a bakery. 

he was a living breathing cookie, always smelling like vanilla and buttery sugar. it was pleasant, soft to your nose and quite the comforting scent, however it did strike you odd that he always smelled like this. did he really live in a bakery? did they make a cologne scented like baked goods? did he decide to bathe in vanilla one day and it just never left his skin?

“ne, asahi,” you called out, gently tugging on his hand as the both of you walked home from school. he had no practice today and decided to walk you the long way hope just for the sake of being outside together for longer. you didn’t mind and it gave you both a chance to talk about whatever had come into mind. 

“yes, love?” he responded sweetly, giving your hand a squeeze as he turned to face you. 

you smiled and shrugged, feeling heat rise to your cheeks. “i was just wondering why you always smelled like a bakery,” you brought up simply, “you smell so sweet all the time and one day i might eat you up!” 

he felt a little anxious about your last remark and he didn’t know why. he knew you wouldn’t do it but he couldn’t help but momentarily think that one day you really might. he let out a shaky laugh and mentally pushed the thoughts away to focus on you better. “oh,” he awkwardly began, feeling his hands beginning to sweat. this caused him to pull away from you and pat his hands down on his pants, “i just bake… i guess… it’s a small hobby of mine, i guess.”

this caught your attention and your brows raised. “really!” you piped, a grin forming on your lips, “that’s so cute! what do you like to bake? do you have any photos! do you bring them to school? how come you’ve never told me! ah! this is exactly why you smell so good!”

your rush of questions made asahi’s mind shake but he managed to keep himself composed, reminding himself that you were just excited — much like hinata and nishinoya. he was quick to ease his rising anxiety and answered to your excitement as best as he could without sounding too awkward or nervous. he didn’t want you to feel that you were being too excited for him since you meant well and you adored much of everything that he did. 

“it’s just to calm my anxiety,” he answered simply, giving you a shy smile, “usually i bake before games and sometimes there are things i bake right before i go to school since i usually wake up earlier than the rest of my family before i go to school.” he turned away, finding courage to hold your hand once again as you two continued on your way home, “i like to bake bread for my family and my mom’s coworkers really likes the cookies i make since they aren’t so sweet, according to them…” he rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand and let out a small sigh. “i never told you because i was a little shy about it… i’m not the best at it anyway, really, i’m just doing it to calm some of my anxiety when i feel it’s too much.”

at your silence, asahi turned to face you to see if there was something he might have said to offend you. he was expecting an angry pout or maybe even a look of disapproval but he was met with a warm expression and the widest smile he’s seen all day on your face. your cheeks were flushed pink with a bright aura of happiness surrounding your figure. it was clear to him you were happy and it was beginning to rub off on him just by looking at you. you gave his hand a squeeze and let out a laugh. “that’s super cool asahi! i never knew it could be used as a coping mechanism but i’m really glad you’re finding stuff to keep your mind healthy!” you giggled once more and this time hugged his arm close, giving him a squeeze. 

“you think so?” he responded shyly, laughing a bit. 

“i know so!” you reassured him, “maybe you can teach me one day when you feel confident enough or if you wanna bake just because and you aren’t feeling anxious! i’ll always be there~” you looked up at him with your warm smile that brought his heart to ease up. he smiled and nodded, tugging you just a bit closer. 

“okay. i’ll plan something for us and we can bake together on a weekend.”