forms of affection . kuroo tetsurou

WORD COUNT/ 850
NOTES/ just a thought i somehow managed to jumble into a small story

kuroo was known to return hugs without much 'passion', as girls would say. if anything, it seemed like the only reason he'd hug someone was because he was being hugged. he was a one-arm-side-hug-pat-on-the-back kind of guy to literally every person that seeked a hug from him which pretty much lived up to the whole infamous image that was created for him when it came to affection. there wasn't anything anyone could do about it anyway. he just wasn't a big hugger no matter how hard someone would try to get a proper embrace from him and that's just how it was.

sure it was immensely unfortunate for girls who poured their heart out to him and developed a love for him as a person, only getting a broken heart in return when he'd apologize for not reciprocating the feelings and offer a hug that was barely acceptable as comfort. a side hug or a pat on the back kind of hug wasn't exactly what girls sought from the guy they have a crush on.

but it was what it was and it couldn't be helped.

kuroo tetsurou wasn't a hugger. maybe even less than kenma was as a hugger.

it just didn't appeal to him. hugging someone – squishing another body to his own – just wasn't something he entirely enjoyed doing or even thinking about. it wasn't that he was a germaphobe or had personal space issues, nothing of that sort at all – he just didn't enjoy the close contact, even more so when it was from some random girl he can't even remember the name of.

kuroo tetsurou wasn't a hugger. and he wasn't the only one.

you, too, weren't a hugger, never trying to hug anyone and even going as far as shaking the other's hand when they're going in for a hug. you didn't like the squishiness of that kind of affection and felt awkward and a bit too enclosed when it came to it. it was too intimate for you and even your friends knew that.

they didn't mind since you were quite open to everything else. you let them hug your arm, lay their head on your shoulder and even hold your hands with your fingers interlocked. you just didn't like hugs and that was that. and certainly that came with a mouthful of comments that sometimes seemed concerned but sometimes seemed to ridicule you in a teasing manner.

"y/n, how are you gonna get a boyfriend if you don't like hugging?" you were pestered, "hugging is important in a relationship, you know?"

"y/n, wouldn't you be jealous if your boyfriend hugs other people but not you because you don't like hugs?" you were pestered, "i think hugs are pretty special and sweet to share with your significant other."

"y/n, will you ever want to hug anybody? like even your lover if you find one?" you were pestered, "i just think your boyfriend might think you don't love him if you don't hug him."

"it's just tiring," you mumbled to kuroo, throwing yourself back onto the grass to lay and look up at the now golden sky. your chest was tight and your eyes started to become stingy, your emotions for the day seemingly wanting to get the better of you. "is it bad that i don't wanna wrap my arms around someone? is that really such a big deal for stupid high schoolers?"

kuroo could only glance down at you, examining the expression that he could from your scrunched up face. you were obviously trying super hard not to cry in front of him and he felt for you, able to sympathize with the frustration built up inside of you. he, too, found it annoying getting these stupid remarks over such a silly and exaggerated "problem". who cares if you didn't want to embrace someone else? was that the only way that determined your ability to express affection?

"you and i both," kuroo mumbled, bringing his feet together and holding onto his ankles. he tore his gaze from you to focus it up at the sky. "people are just insecure. not getting something you want seems to be a massive problem. maybe a hug is worth more than genuity in words and acts of kindness, huh?"

"i'd much rather have a lunch made for me than have someone wrap their arms around me for god knows how long."

kuroo couldn't hold back a cheesy grin at your witty remark. he knew you were genuinely hurt by the exaggeration of this small little trait of yours but was glad you were able to make light of it and not let it ruin you completely. there was nothing wrong with not wanting that form of affection and there was no forcing that onto you. if you would much rather have a bento box made with love then so be it.

"then don't pack a lunch tomorrow," he told you softly, turning back to you with a warm expression, "i'll make you a cute bento. cat themed."