Chapter 1

I've never been pretty really, but my eyes have make up for what my nose lacks.

I have a button-like nose that doesn't look like it came from either one of my parents. That's always been the reason why they all think I'm adopted.

Father said my nose was cut from surgery I had when I was a child, that was the reason why I had a small nose compared to my brother. I've always been different, I didn't belong to any one of my friends before back in England.

That's why I was always bullied, I was different.

After an accident that happened way before when I was still living with my parents, I moved away to New York. I wanted to find out what I've been missing back home.

A place that I could call my own. A place where no one knows who I am so I can start anew.

I stopped in front of a very small and dingy apartment, and parked my car just outside the door. There wasn't any space left for the sidewalk because it is on the sidewalk.

I knocked three times before the door finally opened. I was greeted by a very grumpy lady who is going to be my landlady for the room I'll be renting.

"Yours is upstairs, upper left corner. The one with the window." She put down the cat that was purring on her legs. "There are some rules that my borders have to follow." She said counting on her fingers. "No boys." She started, that wouldn't be a problem for me.

"No animals."

I looked at her cat and she noticed, "Meowington doesn't like other furry company." She spat. I raised both of my hands as if surrendering. I don't have any furry pets, that wouldn't be a problem also.

"And be home before midnight."

I laughed at her last statement. "Like Cinderella?" I asked, "No, like I would be asleep and you'll be sleeping outside." She stood up and disappeared somewhere in the room at the back.

I shrugged and went up to my room to crash. I had troubles finding it, but I was determined to, I'm exhausted, and I'm not up for her attitude in the early morning.

When my back kissed the bed, I soon realized that this isn't home anymore. This is not my bed, but it is now. I have to sleep in this rock hard mattress and live in this pests infested room.

At least I have a window, I comforted myself. I need to find a job to get out of this house, and taking a shower is the first step. I can't show up to a job interview looking like a piece of garbage New Yorkers throw away in the streets. I need to make a statement; I'm broke but I smell good.

After a very long and satisfying bath, I quickly ran towards my clothes on my bed to avoid any peeping from my neighbors. Walking around naked isn't really what I have in mind right now, although that is a habit of mine, I have to buy curtains first.

I opened my laptop and bloody hell the brightness almost blinded me, I should remember to buy contact lenses instead of my big arse glasses.

I started looking for anything really I just need a stable income for now, but all I could find is an opening for a spot called 'escort'. I don't recall learning that in school, so I avoided the job offer as much as possible. I don't want to take on a job that I have no experience whatsoever with, I might show up looking dumb and all, I don't want to embarrass myself on my first day.

When all hope seemed lost, a new job offer popped up. After a few seconds there are a lot of applicants already submitting their resumes, I sent mine out of panic and worry that the job post might close soon.