Chapter 5

I've been working for him for the past 6 months.

Nothing has changed, he still flirts and walk away like he meant nothing. There is always a slight tension between us whenever we're alone, I requested a separate office from him, and he gladly obliged. I work just outside his, not too far from Aviary.

There was improvement inside the office when I got my own space, I could think clearly and actually do work. I've improved too if I do say so myself, but I still don't know what 'escort' means. Damon seems to need different ones from time to time, I just call the number and voila. No more Damon biting up my ass.

That was our routine around here, he would tease me, he'd walk away, later he'd want me to call an escort for him. Nothing has been up recently, the office was quiet, and people are to be minding their own works. Every now and then Damon would pop out of nowhere and act broody or childish. It's always either, never the same twice.

"Surprise." Elijah appeared in front of me, where he came from I don't know. People always seem to like sneaking behind my back, I never notice them so I tend not to care sometimes. He handed me a bouquet of flowers, he always likes to visit here every once in a while.

"This is not a surprise, you do this every time." I looked up to him from my laptop. He scratched the back of neck and before he could speak, Aviary opened the door from Boss' office. "Boss wants to see you." She walks casually in front of Elijah like always.

"Hi V." Elijah hugged her in a motherly kind of way, she gladly took him in her hands. "Eli, still a pain in the ass I see." she smiled at him, "How's Korea?" Aviary sat down and dropped all her files on her desk. "You know, sushi here and there. I vomited once, the fish was still alive."

"Don't you joke about their delicacy Eli, people would kill to go to Korea."

"Well their delicacy tried to kill me. Just saying." he shrugged, Aviary gave a playful eye roll. "Have you ever been out of town, Missy?" They both turned to me, I was caught off guard. "Only ever here." I smiled at both of them.

"At least you're safe from Damon." Elijah shrugged. "Well there's that."

"He likes his girls from another country." we all said in unison.

I took the printed paper and headed for the door, Elijah stopped me before I could open it. "Hey stranger." He said in a low tone.

"Hi there door stopper. What do you want?"

"I need a date for the gala." He nervously said, "You need an escort?" I took my phone from my pocket, but he snatched it from my hand. "No, I was thinking maybe you could go with me."

I smiled at him coyly. "Are you asking me to prom, Elijah?" I teased.

""You're the most popular girl here, I guess I am." I rolled my eyes and pushed past him to the door. "We'll see, but I have work then. I don't think Mr. grumpy pants would let me take a day off." I smiled sympathetically.

When I got inside the room, Mr. Vasiliev was there sitting on his chair, leaning. His feet was up in his desk. "The budget report." I handed him the papers he needed to sign.

He opened one of his eyes, and shooed me with his hand, " you have to sign these pronto boss." I sat on the chair in front of him. He still wasn't sitting up, so I pushed his feet off the desk.

"What do you want?" He stood up, and stretch his back, I could see his muscles wanting to escape his suit. He's not exactly that bulky, but he has abs that any girl would fall on their knees for.

"Sign the papers." I pushed the folder slightly closer to him. He eyed me before he took out a pen from his pocket. "This doesn't work. Give me yours." He snatched my pen from my hand, fine I didn't need that anyway, I don't know why I even have a pen. I work with a laptop and a printer.

"So..." I started, he look up at me lazily. "Gala's next week." He nodded slightly. "And?"

"Do you need an escort?"

he shook his head no. "Can I get a day off?" He stopped signing the papers and looked at me, "Something on my face?" I raised a brow at him, " Come with me."

"Where?" Before he could even answer, his phone rang. I tried looking at the caller ID but the number wasn't registered. "How many time have I fucking told you to never call me?" His voice was ice cold and fast, if words could kill, the person on the other line would be dead right now, and if looks could kill I'd be dead too, he was staring darkly at me.

"Who's that?" I dared to ask, he shot me a look and spoke. "No one important." Damon threw his phone and closed the cabinet shut. "Where were we?"

I tried pushing the matter away and left it with a shrug. "Gala." I answered plainly. "Yes, come with me." he said with a straight face, he seems really serious about this. "I didn't know assistants are required to be there." I laughed nervously. I haven't been to any of these so called 'galas'. I was more of an indoor kind of girl.

partying wasn't my cup of tea. He rolled his eyes at me, clearly annoyed. "As my date dummy."

*

When I got out of his office, Elijah wasn't there anymore. "He left a minute ago, duty call." I nodded at her and returned to my seat. "Go on a date with Damon?" I asked myself. "What?" Aviary shot up, and looked at me, seriously this woman's ears are gifted with supersonic hearing abilities. I cleared my throat before attempting to speak. "Boss wants me to go to the gala with him next week." She raised a brow at me.

"What about Elijah?" I suddenly remember Elijah, he wanted me to come with him too, but I'm sure the boss would never let me go with his brother, I mean. I'm his assistant, If I'm going to be there, I have to be there for him.

This was a conflict waiting to happen, I shrugged at Aviary. "Maybe I'll get sick, a bed rest would be nice." I smirked at her, she chuckled a bit and returned to her laptop.

I tried calling Elijah but he wouldn't pick up, maybe I'll drop by his house later or whatever. I needed to talk to him.

I got stuck at work, I wanted a break, but Damon seems to have a lot of plans for me tonight. It includes tons of paper works and printing. I swear he's making me do more than he pays me to. I got a message from Elijah, it was a quarter past 12, he just got home. "Lucky bastard." I whispered to myself. I wasn't the only one here though, Damon hasn't come out of his office either.

I tried knocking but he didn't answer. I remember Aviary has a spare key to his office. I picked the lock on her desk, it was easy, really. Kindergarten lesson.

When I finally found the keys I opened his office. "Okay, I know you'll be mad, but I-"

He was sleeping comfortably in his desk, this bloody arsehole, I was working my arse off outside and he's sleeping? "If you weren't so cute sleeping, I would put a pillow on your face." I chuckled to myself. His eyes quickly shot up, "Are you planning on killing me Ms. De Vega?" He smiled boyishly. "I probably was, why?" I smiled back at him.

I took away the glass of coffee on his hand, and sat down on his desk slightly. "How are you going to get away with murdering me?" He took my hand on his and played with it, "If I go to jail for murdering you it will be worth it."

"Are you flirting with me, Missy?" His eyes darkened, I laughed at his face. "It would never work Boss." I smiled at him. "Tou·ché." He pursed his lips and looked away. "Come on, let's go home." I said, pulling his hand, he stood up and all of a sudden pulled my hand back.

When his lips touched mine, I was left in shock. Damon's lips are on mine, and I like it.

I like it very much.