SEVEN

[TEXAS, USA]

                 ONE MONTH LATER

      Caroline laughs at Kade’s joke after ticking her order on a restaurant menu. In one month, Nadine’s death has brought them closer and they’d become good friends. She had helped him win the case against Sam Roberts and John Cone, after his impressive victory was made a professional attorney. Kade is sure everything is alright now, but life isn’t complete without his sister, who had been his only friend for his 27 years on earth. He feels like he has disappointed his late parents by not fulfilling his promise of protecting his only family left because now the only family he had was himself. Caroline was rather sympathetic to step into his life as his angel to add light to his darkness. She was trying her best, but it isn’t easy as she thought. The best she could do was make him laugh, take him to a cafeteria, take him to NBA, take him to the restaurant or the cinema. In as much as she is getting fond of him, she tries never to try to replace Nadine in his heart.
Kade opens his wallet to pay the bills and a cropped picture of Nadine is still in it. She was beautiful, lively, radiant, but vulnerable. Kade tries not to look at her; he takes the money and pays the waiter.

   “Caroline, I can’t thank you enough. You’ve done enough for me. I’m serious.” Kade says, heartfelt.

   “Please, Kade. It’s okay. You don’t listen when I say it’s alright, do you? All I did for you was because I felt you deserved it. You only thank people for favors, not for something you deserved

“But I really didn’t treat you well. I still wonder why you did all this for me. To me, you were just my neighbor.”

“You really talk nonsense, Kade. Even if you weren’t nice to me, at least you greeted me every morning and always argued pugnaciously with the rest of the tenants to make yourself noticed.”

“That’s my point. I was rude and aggressive. No one in your shoes would want to help me. I have fifteen criminal records and still counting.”

“Kade, anytime you argued with the neighbors, I sensed the urge in your voice. I began to realize that you weren’t just an aggressive guy, you were warm-hearted on the inside and all you ever wanted in your world was fairness and order. You protect those you love. I thought you were worthy of friendship.” Caroline smiles.

“You’re dramatic.” Kade snickers.

“Me? Who throws tantrums in the building, huh?”

“Stop teasing me. I am right; all ladies are dramatic. Always speaking intuitively is very nuisance to me. It makes me uncomfortable. Please stop it.”
Caroline raises her hands in surrender. “Okay, change of subject.”
“Good.”

“What are you gonna do about your job?” she asks.

“Get a new one. I’ll make my very own enterprise. You’ll bring me customers.”

“That’s a great idea. Can I help with that?”

“No thanks. Keep your rich ass to yourself.” Kade jokes. “I’m a man. A man’s gotta be tough, and you know…work out his own stuff. I’m getting money from the CD’s I’m selling, plus I have a bank to loan from. That should be enough start-up capital.”

“You’re ambitious.”

“I know. That’s why I’m from DC. Thanks for the compliment.”

Caroline laughs. “Great.”

“You don’t believe me, rich kid? I’m a real DC and Minnesota fella. When those two cities coalesce, they make me a real workhorse.”

“So what are you doing here in Texas?”

“I came to start a new life.” Kade stands up after finishing his food. He begins to garrulously narrate his exodus from DC to Texas as they leave the restaurant into the cold night. Caroline takes his hand, and he doesn’t notice. She listens carefully to his story, hoping that he stays like this forever.

Kade inserts a CD into a DVD player and inclines on his bed to listen. It is a recorded audio of Nadine Johansson with her song Tales. She wrote the song for Kade when she was little; when she became a teen she shoved the lyrics in her No-More-Wanted-Stuff Box because she found it lame and stupid. During a ceremony in her school, she was supposed to perform a song she wasn’t familiar with; hence she couldn’t remember the lyrics. She was therefore forced to sing Kade’s song for which she got a contract with a studio. She had a great voice, but never wanted to make a living out of it. She just used it to express her emotions.
As Kade lay down in his bed listening to her, there was a call from his landline. He trudges towards the telephone and retrieves it.

“Hello. This is the police. Is this Mr. Kade Johansson?”

“Yes. What’s up?”

“Were you the one who reported your sister Nadine Johansson’s physical assault issue one month ago?”

“I am.”

“Well, you are needed at the police station right now.”

“For what? Am I under arrest or something?”

“It’s a rather awkward issue. When you arrive, we’ll talk about it.”

“Yes, cop. I’ll be there.”