EPILOGUE

[TEXAS, USA]

The rain is pelting against the window of condominium 103, the dwelling place of Caroline Freeman, when there is a knock on the door. She walks to the door and opens it. Kade walks into the condo, sopping wet.

“Hey,” he says.

“Hi. I haven’t seen you in four days, Kade. You haven’t picked my calls, nor replied my texts.”

“Don’t you think I need some hot coffee and a warm blanket since I’m cold?” Kade asks, and plunges himself down in a seat.

“Alright.” Caroline mutters. She walks to the dispenser, fetches him a cup of coffee and rushes back to him for answers. She tosses a blanket at him with mock-fury.

“Okay. I know you want to shove the remote control down my throat right now, but hear me out first. I took the day out and I travelled to Portland to freshen up and think things out. That was where my family and I used to live. I spent two nights there, just thinking. Then I realized that I was being a bit lame all along. You are right. I was not being strong; I was being stupid and unnecessarily worried. I should’ve have known better that Nadine was ensconced in a much more comfortable place she deserved than here on earth. Maybe that’s why she didn’t return. Here sucks. I am happy as long as she’s okay. I’m sorry for not understanding. I am ready to move on. Take me on a ride to my prosperity, guardian angel.”

“I understand. But now that you’re okay, what are you going to do about Mr. Bradley’s offer? It’s too late. It’s been four days already.”

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll get another opportunity somewhere else.”

“Let’s hope you do.”

“We’re hoping for the best when I get to China. I’m a slow leaner, actually.” Kade says.

“I hope for the best for you too.”
“Thanks.” Kade grins. Suddenly, Caroline’s eyes shoot up.

“Wait, Kade. Did you say China?”

“It’s never too late.” Kade says slyly.

“Oh my God, Kade! You don’t say!” Caroline shrieks.

“Yeah, that’s right. I am going to Shanghai.” Kade announces.

“You son of a...you lied to me! So cunning!” Caroline guffaws.

“How was my acting?”

“It sucked. But I thought four days were gone? When did you agree to take the offer and swim in money?”

“I called Mr. Bradley myself while I was in Portland, when I came to my senses. Also, Rodney called.”

“For what?”

“He wants me back in his company. That was when I realized that the goddess was right. When she was acting as Nadine, she said to me; ‘You have the skills people need to promote their companies.’ At first I did not believe that. Now I do.”

“So what did you tell Rodney?”

“I said he could kiss my ass. Besides, I have China to go to and work with some real business mavens.”

“I’m happy for you.” Caroline hugs him.

“Who else would be?”

“Nadine will.” Caroline smiles. “She’ll also be happy for you.”

Kade stares at her for a while. “You know, after my experience with her, I learned something. So I wanna say something to you before you never get to hear it.”

“Tell me.”

“I love you, Caroline. If not for you, I’d be walking on the streets of Beaumont like a disgorged ball.” Kade says candidly. Caroline hugs him tightly.

“I love you too, Kade. I wanted to tell you a long time ago, but I was sure you’d stare at me like I asked you to eat poop.” Caroline laughs.

“No I wouldn’t. I am a really nice guy. Anyway, this may sound quirky, but I saw Ciana in my dreams.”

“What?”

“Yes I did. She told me she was sorry and all that. She said she couldn’t revive Nadine but I said it was okay and that wanted Nadine to be happy. Then she told me that if I take one step more in life, it would be a very important fulfillment. I now understand why she came into my life. She brought me a message and I got it.” Kade says.

“I’m glad you did.” Caroline smiles.

“I’m happy to see you like this, Kade.”

“I am happy to see me like this. I will forever remember her.”

“Who?”

“Ciana Pandora. The imposter.”

“You still remember the name.” Caroline says with surprise.

“It’s a strange name. It can never be forgotten.”