SIXTEEN

[TEXAS, USA]

           [A MONTH LATER]
Kade takes Nadine to a restaurant and treats her to lunch after school. Caroline would arrive there in about twenty minutes to direct Kade to a client who was impressed with Kade’s handiwork on one of his cars. In the course of waiting, they start an impulsive conversation.

“How is school so far? Is anyone bothering you? Does anyone recognize you from Lakewood High?” Kade asks.

Nadine dabs her lips with a napkin as she has learnt from other customers whenever she was at a restaurant with Kade. “Yes. Some boy called me a ghost and asked his friends to stay away from me. But don’t worry, I dealt with him amicably.”

“I hope you didn’t give him broken bones like your brother would do.” Kade says.

“At first I did, but it was not because of that. I understand that he wouldn’t be able to comprehend my ‘sudden resurrection’ as you put it. I only beat him up because he was being mean to another boy in my homeroom.”

“Really? Why did you of all wimps decide to stand up for him?”

“I couldn’t take it anymore. He would always throw away his lunch, beat him in the locker room, maim him and all that. According to my fellow teenagers, no one has been able to even spit on that mean boy. So I did.”

“Brilliant.” Kade says sarcastically. “And you got suspended.”

“Yes.”

“Tell me, how were you able to learn how to beat someone, especially a bully from Vegas who is also male? I don’t understand. Was it just your temper flaring up? If so, then you are being just like me, and trust me, being like me is a path to destruction. Are you seeing my life now? My miserable life today is because I beat my co-worker to paralyze.” Kade says.

“Your life is not miserable, brother. You have a new occupation and you are minutes away from getting a contract.”

“I know, but I just still live with that guilt. If you get into another fight, I swear I’ll personally kick your ass.”

“You watch UFC.” Nadine says.

“Yes. I am a big fan.”

“I watched one of the sparring matches on TV. That is where I learnt the fighting skills.”

“Nadine, it said clearly on the screen; PG 18. It means that you can’t watch it if you are less than eighteen. There is too much violence. It is not suitable for kids like you.”

“But you said I was seventeen.”

“Not eighteen.”

“When will I become eighteen?”

“In July. You don’t remember?”

“No.”
“Anyway, as much as I was mad at you, I am happy with what you did with the bully. When someone wants to mess with you or someone you love, kick his ass.”
“What is an ass?” Ciana asks with a laugh.
“A backside. There are so many names for it; keister, bum, booty, bum-bum, butt.” Kade says.
Nadine howls with laughter.  “All those names for buttocks?”

“Yes. You are never watching UFC again. I am serious.”

“Yes, Kade. I pledge.” Nadine smiles. “Anyway, are you nervous?”

“About what? The client? He is already impressed by my work. I shouldn’t be nervous.”

“Caroline said he was going to interview you.”