Chapter Nineteen

A BILLION APOLOGIES FOR NOT UPDATING IN A MILLION YEARS, AND FOR THIS COMPLETELY TERRIBLE CHAPTER, BUT IM SORRY!!! I WILL TRY TO MAKE OT UP TO YOU, I SWEAR! BUT THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO LIKES THIS STORY AND WANTS TO KEEP READING!! YOU ALL ARE BEST!!! ❤️

Kate drummed her fingers on her desk as her French teacher, Ms. Laurent, droned endlessly on explaining "Passé Composé" verbs. True, she had thirty five more minutes left of 'The past parciple' to endure, but Kate rarely was 'bored' in class. She always had too much to think about. Plus, she had survived the last two classes- one more wasn't going to kill her. She gazed out the window and marvelled at the brilliance of the sun against the blue of the sky. Blue. Kate's favourite colour. It represented the wonders of the ocean, the cool of the rain, the scent of her favourite indigo sweater as a kid- and Harry. The boy with those brilliant blue eyes, which put even the delicate pansies of spring to shame. The boy with the warmest smile, the most contagious laugh. The boy she was going to the lake to meet in thirty five minutes.
It will be fine, she told herself, It's only Harry. She rolled her eyes at herself, Yeah only Harry who has been gone for three years and could still prove to be a completely different person now. It dawned on her that she really didn't know her best friend, and that fact rattled her to the core. It scared her so much how you could think you know someone, but really you know nothing about them. Like how they would fare, or where their loyalties lay if put to the test. Now you're thinking about Cathy. It was true, the red haired girl was sitting a few rows in front. It was obvious that she was avoiding her, for it had been quite some time since the Cathy Jensen sat so close to the whiteboard. In fact, it had been never.
Kate sighed as she thought of how Cathy acted at lunch. Amy, Emily and Kate had found her in the girl's bathrooms. How cliché. She had been sobbing in one of the cubicles. Kate, of course, tried to be decent and decided to be the one to go in and try to speak to the girl, but before she could even ask Cathy to open the door, she had stormed out, looked Kate straight in the eye, her green ones mascara laden and wild, "You know what? I'm not even sorry. You're a bitch, Kate!" She paused for dramatic effect. "Plus," she said, glancing at her nails, the epitome of nonchalance, "He was a good kisser." With that she strode out of the bathrooms, like some evil cheerleader out of a cheesy teen movie, leaving the three girls standing there goofily, completely speechless.
"Well, um, someone once said 'Words spoken in the heat of anger are never from the heart,'" Emily said finally. "Please shut up," Amy and Kate had both said in unison.