8. little black dress

I stare at my reflection in the mirror and smile.

I haven't looked this good in months. It's because I haven't gone out in so long. I'm wearing one of the few dresses I brought with me. I haven't worn it since I got here. It's a simple little black dress. It's my favorite dress that I own. It has thin straps and it goes down mid-thigh and has tiny sparkles all over it. I shaved my legs and painted my toenails black. I'm even wearing black heels. My dark brown hair is straight down my back and I have mascara and some nude lipstick on.

I feel like myself again.

This is completely, one hundred percent, crazy.

Before I have time to talk myself out of this, there is a knock on the door. I take a deep breath then reach for my keys and phone. Derek Collins is standing outside in all his glory wearing jeans with a navy blue cotton shirt and a black blazer. He looks casual and anything but at the same time. He's texting when I walk out and I roll my eyes as I turn to lock the door.

We haven't even left yet and he's already doing the one thing that upsets me the most. You know what? I hope he makes me hate tonight. I hope this "date" or whatever it is, is a horrible one. I hope I end up disliking him even more so that I'm left with zero desire to go out with him again.

I hope Derek Collins gives me the worst date of my life.

"Ready?" he asks and I turn around to tell him that yes, I am ready but I watch as his eyes roam down my body. Derek Collins is checking me out and he's not being subtle about it. He raises his eyebrows as his eyes meet mine. "Wow, Gin, you clean up really good."

"You need to work on your compliments," I say to him then begin walking towards the stairs, my heels echo behind me.

"Okay," he says as he follows me. "How about, you look stunning?"

I fight back a smile. "That's better."

"Well," he says after we walk down the stairs. I see his car parked by the curb and we make our way towards me. "You look stunning, Gin."

I keep looking straight ahead as we walk down the stairs and smile. "Thank you."

"Where are we going?" I ask once we're inside his car.

"We're going to dinner," he says as he puts on his seatbelt. "Hope you're hungry."

"I can be hungry if I need to." I tell him.

He chuckles as he looks at me. "Put your seatbelt on."

"Okay," I say as I reach for it and pull it across my chest. "But only because I was going to anyway."

"Right," he says, turning on the car. "God forbid you do anything because I asked you to."

"Exactly." I smile, looking out the window.

"Maybe we can go clubbing after dinner?" he suggests as he drives. "You ever been?"

"Yes," I say. "Not here in New York but I have my moves."

He glances at me as he keeps his hand on the steering wheel. "Where are you from, Gin?"

"I was born in Portland but I've lived in Newport since I was in high school."

He raises his eyebrows. "Oregon, really?"

I turn to look at him and admire his handsome face. He's even more attractive when he's not being obnoxious. "Yes, why the tone of surprise?"

"I have family in Oregon."

"Really?" I ask, it's my turn to raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yes," he says nodding.