16. anything, everything

"Hey, come here."

Derek reaches for my hand and pulls me towards him as we reach the car. He leans against it and I stand in front of him. Everything feels so dreamy with Derek. It feels like we're in a movie. Anything Derek does must look like he's in a movie.

He's so close to me and I allow my eyes to travel down his neck, to his broad shoulders and muscular chest. Yes. I can see it. He would make a perfect male stripper. He looks so good with clothes on, I can't imagine how good he looks without them. Why am I even thinking about him naked? I shut those thoughts out of my head immediately.

"You can touch me, Gin," Derek says softly and his eyes look amused when I look up at him. He grabs my hand and places it on his strong chest.

"Don't flatter yourself." I roll my eyes at him but I leave my hand there then I move it to his impressive arm. "You work out a lot, don't you?"

"Everyday," he says, proudly, then shrugs. "Well, almost everyday. Depends where I am, really."

"You ate pizza today." I remind him then smile up at him. "Did I make you break your diet?"

"Hardly." he grins. "I still eat whatever I want, most of the time."

I nod, thoughtfully.

"Tell me about you, Gin," he says looking down at me.

I smile. "What do you want to know?"

"Anything, everything." he smiles. "Tell me about your family."

"I have an older sister. Her name is Natalie." I smile as I think about her. I miss her. She's my best friend. I feel bad for not calling her more often. I decide to call her on Monday or when I get back to New York. I mostly keep up with her through the pictures she posts on Instagram. "She just had a baby."

"Oh? So, you're an aunt."

I nod. "Yes. His name is Samuel." My smile begins to fade.

Derek frowns as he studies me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I shake my head. "I just haven't met him. He was born in January and I haven't been able to go to Newport. It makes me a little sad to think about the fact that I haven't met my nephew. He doesn't know what I look like and I'm his aunt."

"Why haven't you been able to go?" he asks gently.

"Work, school, money." I shrug. "I'll go once the semester is over. I'm sorry if I'm being dramatic."

"You're not," he says. "You are making me feel guilty, though."

"Guilty? Why?" I ask looking up at him.

"Well, because I haven't seen my family in a while and they live in New York."

"Why don't you visit them?"

He looks up at the sky, thoughtfully. "My family is..." he looks down at me. "Too much." his lip quirks up in a half smile. "I think I know what you meant earlier when you told me that I'm too much."

"Too much?" I repeat.

"Yes," he says then he chuckles. "Everyone thinks we're this great, successful family but we're all pretty fucked up, really."

I smile and shake my head slowly. "I don't know what you mean."

"I know," he says. "I don't really want to get into it right now."

"Okay," I say.

He looks at me and smiles. His hand goes up to my face and he strokes my jawline with his thumb like he did earlier. It's almost like a warning. It makes my insides warm. "You are so exquisite," he says looking at me. "Such perfect features." he continues, trailing his hand on my cheek. "I love your cheekbones."