15. too much

Derek drives us to Santa Monica Beach.

I was feeling tired during the ride but as soon as the beach comes into view, I'm suddenly wide awake. We park close to the Santa Monica Pier, but not too close since there's a lot of people there. Seeing the Ferris wheel with its lights and all, reminds me of the movie Hannah Montana which is funny because I haven't watched that movie in years.

"Oh my god," I say as we get out of the car.

The sound of the waves is like music to my ears. I've missed the beach so much and, while this is not my Newport Beach, it's just as satisfying.

Derek smiles, looking amused. "You like the beach?"

"Are you kidding? I love it. Come on," I say reaching for his hand and pulling him forward.

It's dark but I've always thought the beach is better at night. There is less people and it's more relaxing. I'm so excited to be here. I kick off my shoes as soon as we get close to the water. Now, I'm wishing I wasn't wearing jeans but that doesn't stop me from walking into the water, the water rises just below my knees.

"You know, we would have come here first if I would've known it would make you this happy," Derek says as he stands behind me. His arms go around my waist from behind and I let him because he's making this moment even better. I allow my head to rest back against his shoulder as I stare at the water and sky. There are a couple stars. Even the weather is nice.

It's been a long day. This is the perfect way to end it.

"I forgot how much I missed it," I say as I stare at it. "My parents own an oceanside inn so I spent a lot of time by the beach."

"Oh, I didn't know that. You're going to have to tell me the name so I can stay there when I'm in Newport."

I pull myself away and roll my eyes at him.

"What?" He asks as he follows me out of the water.

"It's not your type of luxury hotels," I say as I sit down on the sand, facing the ocean.

"I'm not always all about luxury, Gin," he says as he sits down next to me, close enough for our arms to touch.

"That's hard to believe."

"Come here," he says as he pulls me by the arm.

"What are you doing?" I laugh.

"I want you close to me." He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me so that I'm sitting in between his legs. His knees are propped up on either side of me and I lean my back against his chest. His cheek brushes against the right side of my face. It's such an intimate position and I like it. The fact that we're sitting like this on the beach just makes it all better.

"You're very smooth, Derek Collins." I smile at the ocean.

"You're damn right I am," he says making me laugh.

"I know you think I'm some stuck up son of a bitch," he says after a moment. "But I'm not like that...all the time."

I pull my head back against his shoulder so I can look at him. "I don't think that," I say and he looks down at me and raises an eyebrow. "All the time." I smile and he chuckles.

Then he stares straight ahead at the ocean. There's a dark shadow on his face. "I've been doing this since I was sixteen," he says thoughtful. "Nobody taught me how to deal with fame or money." He pauses. "I spent most of the time alone, away from my family. It all just happened so quickly. It feels like it's still happening so quickly." He looks at me, his blue eyes shine when the moonlight hits them. Gosh. He's so gorgeous. "It's been so fucking hard and it still is sometimes. Some days are just easier than others. I try my best." He shrugs.