11. the feeling is mutual

"Two halibuts all day!"

"Heard!" I call back from the stove as I get started on the dishes.

It's a very busy Sunday night at work. I haven't had time to drink some water since I got here. I'm on the line today which is the hardest station. We're all lined up horizontally and all of us are working as fast as our hands and feet can take us. Jim is running the pass tonight like he does whenever he's working. Even he hasn't had the time to make someone cry tonight.

We had two no-shows so we are understaffed.

I'm grateful for it, honestly. I haven't had the time to think about what happened earlier with Derek and that's good because I've been thinking all morning and afternoon and it's exhausting.

"4 out on halibut!" I call out, keeping my eyes and hands steady on the pan while everyone else calls out time and orders.

It's amazing, really, how we're able to coordinate. This it the art of being a chef: when we're all working together with the common goal of finishing a successful service. I love it when it's like this. We all put our differences aside and just work.

Kim didn't work today, though it's not like we would have time to socialize if she were here.

The evening flies by and before I know it, service is over and I'm on dish washing duty. Jim approaches me as I wash the dishes.

"Nice job tonight, Savannah," he says with a nod.

I actually smile, surprised. "Thank you, Jim."

"See you tomorrow," he says before walking away.

I smile at myself, feeling proud. Today wasn't such a bad day after all. I finish washing the dishes with much higher spirits. My face feels like it's on fire and I'm sweating. I want to get home and take a long, cold shower before going to bed.

"Hey, Savannah!"

I turn around and look at Tom, another one of the line cooks tonight. "What?"

"There's a guy outside asking for you."

Oh my God. Is he for reals?

"Uh, okay," I say as I go back to the dishes.

It's Derek, who else could it be? He's the only guy I've been hanging out with. I can't believe he's here. Why is he here? I thought I was clear enough earlier in the afternoon when we talked. I want nothing to do with him. I'm just trying to go on with my life and forget all about him.

I don't hurry up. I take my time finishing the dishes and cleaning the counters then I help mop the floors. I'm in no hurry to finish. The thought of facing Derek again has me all nervous and I hate it. I really don't want to like him and the only way to do that is by staying away from him.

I go to the bathroom and splash water on my face. It looks flushed from the heat. I take off my coat, and I'm left with my white blouse underneath. Then I redo the bun on top of my head but I struggle so much with it, I end up braiding it instead.

Then I finally head outside through the backdoor. The street is busier than it is on weekdays and I spot Derek on the right, signing a girl's arm with a Sharpie while another one takes a picture of him.

He's smiling and nodding as one of the girls tells him something and then he looks up and meets my gaze.

I shake my head at him then turn left and start walking towards my apartment.

"I'm sorry, yes, I have to go," I hear Derek say. "Nice to meet you too...yes...thank you, bye."

Seconds later, he catches up to me.