12. who is this?

I stare at the professor in front of the room as she speaks. I can see her lips moving but I can't hear anything. I haven't been able to concentrate since class started and I hate the reason why.

It's Thursday and it's been four days since I last spoke to Derek. On Sunday night, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to wait round for his call but that's all I've been doing since Monday. It's starting to affect my mood and I absolutely hate that.

Ugh. I've really become that girl when I knew better.

I keep reminding myself that it's good that he's away and not contacting me. This will help me move on and forget all about him. There's only one problem: it seems that Derek Collins is unforgettable.

God. I'm so annoyed with myself. Though this is his fault too. Why did he have to say those things to me the other night? Why couldn't he just drop this and let me move on? I would probably still be thinking about him right now but at least I wouldn't be clinging on to hope.

I don't even know what I'm thinking. I've already told myself that Derek is too complicated and the last thing I should want is to have anything to do with him. The problem is that the thought of dating him excites me. It's pretty scary.

"Hey, let's go eat?" Kim asks me after class is over later that afternoon.

Because the last thing I want right now is to be alone, I nod. "Yeah, let's go."

I've been going to Culinary Drop-Out a couple times this week. Mostly because I can't stand being alone right now. I've even become friendly with Adrian, the bartender. He's not working when we get there, probably because it's still early in the afternoon.

"So?" Kim asks as we eat. "Has he called?"

I chew on my pasta casually, trying to seem like I couldn't care less about the fact that Derek has in fact, not called. "No. I told you he was going to forget all about me."

"He's probably busy. He hasn't been active on social media either."

I hate that I already knew that. I still don't follow him on Instagram but his profile is public, of course, and every time I grab my phone, I'm going into the damn app to check his profile before I even realize it. Like I said, I really hate myself right now.

I shrug. "Whatever. It's probably for the better." I look at her and decide to change the subject. "How are things with Khan?"

She's been seeing Khan since the night they got matched on the bar. Apparently, it's going pretty well. Derek wanted me to pretend to be his fake girlfriend to make us seem like a successful couple yet, Kim and Khan appear to be the real success here.

So maybe the app isn't a complete scam. I think about what Derek said the other day. He was right. The app doesn't promise a life-long relationship. It promises a match with a potential person. I'm still confused on why I got matched with Derek Collins. It must have been a glitch. The app can't always get it right. Derek couldn't be more far from what I look for in a man. Yes, he's handsome but it's not always about looks with me. Personality is just as important, if not more.

Yet, he has managed to make me like him. It makes me feel artificial. I don't like his personality but I like him because of his looks. I mean, he's also sort of fun to be around too except when he ditches me for four other women.

"We're good." Kim beams. "We're going to the club on Friday. You should come."

I shake my head. "Pam needed Saturday off so we switched days and I'm covering for her. Besides, I don't want to be a third wheel." I tease with a smile.