IX

"Get up!" The voice screamed, and I panicked, and jerked up to my feet, but I refused to turn around and look at the person, or expose my baby to it

"Put your hands up!" The voice yelled again, and I shook my head frantically, refusing to move my arms from around Dale, who was now crying, scared of the person screaming. 

"What is that?" The voice asked, and he sounded much more calm. 

"My son... please... please don't hurt us. I'm all he has now. Please." I whispered, refusing to look at the man, but he seemed to understand that since he moved around me staring down at Dale in my arms, and I took the time he was distracted to look him over. 

He was tall, much taller than me, he had dark skin, and dark eyes. He's bald, with a dark beard cut close to his face, and he seemed a tad bit... unhinged. He was dressed in protective gear, and he had a very large rifle pointed towards the ground. 

"Who are you?" The man asked, stepping back away from me, and focusing his stare back on my face. 

"Riley Dix... sorry... Riley Grimes. This is my son, Dale." I whispered, staring at him, pleading with him not to kill me. 

"You... you said Dix. Are you lying to me?!" He screamed at me, pointing his gun up at my face, and I raised my right hand on instinct to protect my face, and left my left hand on Dale's head. 

"No. No... I'm sorry. It used to be Dixon. I was married. And then my husband cheated on me. I just found out... uhm like... thirty minutes ago? I'm sorry. I just... I can't be a Dixon anymore. So, I'm going back to who I was. A Grimes." I explained, and I watched as each word I said made his gun lower from my head. 

"I used to... I used to know a Grimes." The man stuttered out, looking around frantically, and it further cemented in my head that he wasn't stable. 

"I have a brother. Rick, and there's his wife Lori and son Carl? Maybe you knew one of them?" I asked hesitantly, and his eyes flashed to meet mine. 

"Rick... I know that name." He said hesitantly, and I nodded, trying to get him to see me as a friend.

"Rick! He's my big brother. He used to live here. He was in the hospital when everything started." I explained, and he nodded, finally putting his gun down. 

"Rick... yeah... he helped me and my boy." I nodded, and he seemed less frantic. 

"Okay... well... my son and I need help now. Can you... can you let us go?" I asked softly, and he nodded, backing away from me, and then suddenly he froze and shook his head rapidly. 

"No. No you can't go. It's not safe. Not clear. You should stay here. With me. I'll protect you." I hesitated, but seeing as there wasn't much of an option, unless I wanted to get shot in the back, I nodded and he led me up to a building, that would hopefully be my safe haven from Daryl. 

Please, let it be my safe haven.

I was running through the woods

I was running through the woods. I couldn't find a trace of her, but if she was smart she would have avoided the streets right? Avoided the populated areas. More buildings means more walkers, more humans, and we hadn't checked it. So she would've gone to the woods? Right? 

God, I'm an idiot. 

Such a fucking idiot.