Part III - Prologue

We're on Easy Street

And it feels so sweet

'Cause the world is but a treat

When you're on Easy Street

And we're breaking out the good champagne

I'm sittin' pretty on a gravy train

And when we sing, every sweet refrain repeats

Right here on Easy Street

I flinched in the cold darkness of the cell when someone pounded on the metal door behind my head, and I jerked away, slamming the side of my head into the metal wall in my attempt to not fall through the door when they opened it. 

Let's have a moment in the sun

The lock clicked open. 

The magic's only just begun

The door swung open, and the large man that had been my guard for every meal so far, threw me a dog-food sandwich, and I hurriedly grabbed it before the break could soap up any urine. 

It's time to have a little fun

We want everybody to come and see why you should be

On Easy Street

Yeah, we got a front-row seat

Oh, to a life that can't be beat

Right here on Easy Street

He stared at me for a long moment, pity in his eyes, and he turned just enough so I could see Riley, tied to a metal chair, in perfect view so she could see just how awful I looked, as some jackass took another swing at her face. I watched as a stream of blood cascaded down her face and increased with each blow but her eyes were locked on mine. 

I dropped the sandwich, let it soak up the urine on the floor, and before the man could slam the door shut again, I wound up, and threw the stupid ass sandwich at the guy who was beating my wife. It smacked the back of his head, and I had the pleasure to watch it slide down into his shirt, leaving a trail of urine behind it, before the man slammed the door shut and locked it. 

The music paused, just long enough to reset, but I could hear the man screaming about how he was going to kill me, and Riley cussing at him, and my big guard was telling the other one to take it easy, but I couldn't keep the smirk off my face. 

At least I got him to stop hitting her, at least for a minute. 

We're on Easy Street 

And it feels so sweet

The lock clicked open again, and the big man pulled me out, apparently having come to some decision with my wife's beater, since they tied to me a chair, and forced Riley to watch as they beat my face in. 

But I didn't even give them the satisfaction of looking at them. I stayed locked into Riley the entire time. If I had to be beat every second I looked at her for the rest of my life? Well, swing away dickbags. 

'Cause the world is but a treat 

When you're on Easy Street

A/N: My Lord guys. I cannot wait to stop hurting my babes.