XXXIV

They had stopped to wait for a signal from the others that had gone into the woods

They had stopped to wait for a signal from the others that had gone into the woods. They were all out of the truck, standing around, waiting for something to happen, leaving me to sit by myself in the back of the truck. It had been a few hours since the cars were sent to look for Dwight and the others but it wasn't too long after we had set up, that a scream ran out and my eyes flicked into the burnt forest. I glanced at the other men, and they had their weapons up, pointed in the direction the scream had come from. It was a long time, almost five minutes I would guess, before a group of men came running out of the trees, holding another guy who was bleeding from his arm where it had been chopped off. 

"Dude! What the fuck?" Keno growled from in front of the car, and the man holding up the bleeding one raised his other arm up in surrender. 

"Look, I'm sorry man, but they lured Cam into a trap! I had to cut his arm off, and we had no way of knowing where they went. I swear man. They just fucking disappeared." Probably not, I mean, all this ash? Their footprints should be pretty easy to see. I mean it's not like it's Daryl they're tracking. 

"I'm sure you did the best you can Wade. But... if we don't get them? It's gonna be your ass who tells the boss that we failed because you wanted to take care of your fucking boyfriend!" Keno yelled, grabbing Wade by the collar and practically throwing him away from Cam, who looked like he was going to pass out from blood loss. 

"Gather back up. Also, where's the rest of you?" Keno asked, looking at the small group of men who had reemerged from the trees. 

"There were these other guys. One on a bike and two in a car. Intercepted us, don't know what they were doing, but we ran em off. But they killed the guys in the other two cars. The ones in the other truck stayed to finish two of em off. The other crashed his bike. Pretty sure he's dead." Hah. Serves you assholes right. 

"Fine." Keno growled out, frustrated that it was almost dark once again, and we still hadn't found anything at all to show the boss. If we show up empty handed, he is for sure gonna get his ass beat. 

"Tell those two wheelers to meet us at the recon point." Keno hissed to one of the other men, and they nodded, going into the other car which had a radio. A few moments later, he came back out nodded, and Keno sighed and headed back to the truck where I was sitting. 

"Let's go back to recon. Make a plan for tomorrow. No one leaves. Let's go." Keno said, and the men scattered, hopping into the two remaining vehicles, and we finally started moving again. 

The next morning, we set out to get set up. I was to go with Keno and the motorcycle group to barricade the road that leads back towards the groups we knew about, considering we assumed that anyone out here was part of the groups we had conquered, and if they took Patty, they'd head this way. It's a small town. And the other men, in the car and the truck we had left, were barricading the only other road away from this place, but we assumed it wasn't gonna be used.