9. Speak now or forever hold your peace

Aiden's Pov~

       That moment kept replaying, over and over like a really bad song. You know, the ones that you hate but can't help but remember because they're so catchy. That's what was happening to me. This wasn't a bad catchy song replaying though. It was the words that had just left Rider's mouth only seconds ago.

       "I think it's with my father." Like what the hell kind of shit was that? She just dropped it on me, and I was definitely not prepared. After she told me about her assumption, I just stared at her in utter shock.
       "Can you repeat that?" I asked, still staring at her.
"Please, I'd rather not. I'm just as embarrassed as you are." She put her hand on her hip, waiting for me to give her a real reply.
"Ok, so how the hell did you come to this conclusion exactly?" I asked another question and I could tell she was starting to get irritated all over again, but hey, I gave her a real reply didn't I?

    "Aiden don't be an idiot, they went to the restroom at the same time, and returned seconds after each other," she looked at me like I was a complete idiot.
"So, what does that have to-" she cut me off
"Aiden think." She scolded, pushing her perfectly manicured finger into the side of my head. When she did that, something in me clicked.
"Hey you know what? My mom did say she met your mom at a convention you guys went to, which was weird because she never goes to those things." Rider's eyes turned into daggers.

      "Oh my fucking god, she's lying. My dad never let me and my mother go to those things, I mean she went to one which explains how she met your dad but that was years ago." I rested my hands on my knees and held my head down. This was not what I was expecting. If Mr. Epperson was the man my mother was cheating with, then that meant she was having a baby by him too. Not only that, it also meant that I couldn't be with Rider because we would have a brother together. I let out a deep breath.

        "This is straight out of a fucking lifetime movie." Rider was shaking her head frantically.
"I can't believe my dad's been cheating on my mom for years possibly.." I could tell the thought pained her but it was quickly masked with anger."
"Oh, I got something for his ass. Watch this-" she was ready to storm off and give our parents a piece of her mind, but I quickly pulled her back.
"Rider we can't. Not here, not now."
"Ok, well when? Because this shit is unacceptable."
"How about when we're in a less crowded place." My suggestion seemed to calm her down because she took a deep breath and visibly relaxed.

     "Yea, you're right. I'll just talk to them about it when I get home." She repeated that over and over, and I started to think she wasn't as calm as she led on.
"How about we act normal and just enjoy the rest of our meal, besides we don't know for sure if our suspicions are true." I think that time she really calmed down, so I took her hand and guided her back to the table.

  Shortly after, we finally finished eating and everyone was getting ready to go. During the car ride my mother kept trying to make small talk with my dad and I, but since I knew now what I didn't know then, I just gave her one word replies. She knew something was off about me, and she was damn right. Every time I started to come to terms with my fucked up life, something more fucked up happened. Is the universe punishing me for something I did? Whatever it is, I'm sorry. Do you hear me up there? I said I apologi-.

"Son are you alright?" My dad pulled me from my thoughts. He was looking at me, eyes full of concern. I was trying my best not to blurt out what I'd heard an hour ago, but the look on his face right then, made me come to the conclusion that I couldn't do that to him. I decided to give my mom the opportunity to confess before I did. That was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

       "Yea yea, I'm cool. Just not feeling that well." Sooner or later my parents wouldn't believe that lie anymore, lately the only thing I've been was sick. I glanced at my mom, and based off the look she was giving me, I could tell she knew I was lying. She could see right through me, and I hated that about her, among many other things. We were even though, because I saw right through her as well.

       "Are you sure? You don't look cool. Was it something you ate at the restaurant?" She questioned me. I really wanted her to stop, because if I told her what was really wrong, she'd wish she hadn't asked.
"Mom, I said I'm. Cool. OKAY?" She nodded her head and I noticed her eyes focus back on the road through the rear view mirror.

     When we arrived at the house, I didn't waste anytime getting out of the car. I rushed to my room, slamming the door behind. There was only one thing I needed to do. Call Rider.

     I dialed her number quickly, and she picked up on the third ring.
"Hello?" Her velvety voice was soothing and it calmed my nerves quicker than I expected.
"So I decided not to tell my dad." She was silent for a moment, and I could tell she disagreed with my decision.
"What!? Why? He deserves the truth." I knew she was right. My dad deserved the truth no doubt, but it wasn't my place to speak my mom's truth. She had to do it.
"She's going to tell him herself. She has a deadline of course and we'll figure out when that is as soon as I'm done talking to you." I wanted to change the subject of my cheating mother as soon as possible, so I flipped the tables on Rider.

"So, did you tell your mom what you found out about your dad?" I knew the answer but I asked anyway. If Rider had told her mom already, she would have called me faster than I called her.
"No. For what? My parents are separated so it really doesn't matter who he's wit- ohhhhhh never mind I see the problem here." Rider quickly came to her senses when she realized the same things I had earlier.
"We have to stop this. Now." Rider's voice went from smooth to chilling in a matter of seconds.
"What did you have in mind?" I would stop this affair if it was the last thing I'd do. I refused to let my mother ruin the only good thing in my life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author here. Sorry for the long wait and the short chapter, but this is the best I could do with everything that has been going on in my hectic life right now. The next chapter will be EXTRA long as an apology to you guys. I hope you know that extra long chapters mean more time uploading though. And lastly I want to say THANK YOU for 300 reads. I am very grateful, I never thought that I would get this much love 💕 until next time. Happy reading!!